Carnival of the Godless #62:
Welcome to this edition of Carnival of the Godless, in rousing celebration of the death in 493 CE of that pagan-basher known as Patrick. Being of partly Irish heritage, I take exception to the canonization of a man who persecuted the druids and nature-worshipers in my ancestral country, burned books, chopped down sacred groves, and replaced authentic traditions with the eternal corruption of scripture.
So today, we’ll drive away the snakes of god-belief in his honor–let the games begin.
Existence of God
- Martin Rundkvist submitted a well-argued guest-blogger piece by Jim Benton on the existence of god, life the universe and everything. Aardvarchaeology : Jim Benton on the Atheist / Agnostic Issue posted at Aardvarchaeology.
- Jeff Hebert presents Creationists Aren’t Stupid posted at A Nerd’s Country Journal, saying, “I’m not generally in the habit of defending young earth creationists, but I think it’s important to avoid dismissing them with the easy mental shortcut of just calling them “stupid”
- Shalini takes on a sarcastic troll in The hypocrisy of Biblical ‘literalists’ posted at Scientia Natura: Evolution And Rationality.
- Akusai unravels The Saga of the Bible Faith Handkerchief posted at Action Skeptics, saying, “In this post, I detail and deride a strange piece of mail that my boss received and passed on to me: The Bible Faith Handkerchief. It includes photographs and video.”
- David Parker presents religious literacy and bible courses posted at another history blog.
- Greg Laden chronicles a “sneak-attack” on creationists in “PZ Myers Incites Vandals” …claims Twin Cities man posted at Greg Laden, saying, “This little post reveals recently uncovered FACTS regarding possible nefarious activities of fire breathing atheist PZ Myers and a possible accomplice. Or was it all in the minds of the accuser, a creationist pediatric poet…”
Psychology & Ethics
- Alonzo Fyfe presents “the first day of a three-day rant covering the question of religion and ethics:” A Special Way of Knowing posted at Atheist Ethicist.
- Heather Annastasia Siladi gives a great summation of modes of instilling religious guilt and repression in How Religion Creates Sexual Predators posted at Heather Annastasia’s Politics Blog.
- Morgaine describes How Personal Shadow Work is Integral to Perceiving Reality at Black Sun Journal.
- BlackSun discusses how we might arrive at a meaningful definition of “evil” in Evil, ID, Conspiracies, and Ignorance at Black Sun Journal.
Religion vs. Science
- Buford Twain presents The “God” Particle posted at The Tortured Mind of Buford Twain, saying, “A plea to particle physicists…”
- jbruno presents NOMA No More? posted at The Voltage Gate, “Reiterating the cross section between science and religion and concluding that religion needs to change if there will be any “compromise.”
- The Anonymous Coward presents Playing God posted at Confessions of an Anonymous Coward.
- Martin Rundkvist presents Odin, Thor and Other Space Aliens posted at Aardvarchaeology.
- God brings you Jerry Falwell’s Disposable Earth posted at Blog of the Gods. God is also very unhappy about some of the new dollar coins.
- unschooler presents Evangelical Climate Change posted at School of Thought, saying, “just found the carnival…looking forward to reading more.”
- vjack presents Reality-Based Community Skeptical of Discovery of Jesus’ Tomb posted at Atheist Revolution, saying, “As news broke of James Cameron’s supposed discovery of Jesus’ tomb, most in the reality-based community reacted with skepticism. While some Christians acknowledged that Cameron’s claim challenged the very core of their faith, most atheist bloggers appeared to regard the news with minimal interest…”
- Doug Humphries presents Parenting Can Drive You to Drink posted at Doug Humphries, saying, “Especially when your hyper-religious grandparents try to get involved. We’ll also be tackling the absurdities that go along with being and omnicient god.”
Atheist Marketing and Presentation
- Hemant Mehta presents Why I’m Not An Angry Atheist and Who Wants a Free Copy of I Sold My Soul on eBay? posted at Friendly Atheist, saying, “I’m offering free copies of my upcoming book to anyone who can help me publicize it!”
Now that your mind has been (nicely and politely) cleansed of all unreason, it’s time to go drink some green beer to celebrate spring and fertility and new life. Make sure you have some revelry as well, for that’s what Patrick would have despised!
Technorati tags: carnival of the godless, blog carnival.