var rnd = Math.random(8)

805l

Eight random things about me…

OK, this “8 random things” meme is out of control. The only reason I’m doing this is for my buds olly and tobe38 who frickin’ tagged me. I guess I should just use it as an excuse to talk about myself. I don’t like it. We’re supposed to be focusing on issues, not personality. (Yeah, right.) Ideas are more important than people, remember?? (Why? Because ideas can live forever.) For those who haven’t read the “about” profile, I suggest you start there. If that isn’t enough blatant narcissism for you, here are 8 more things about me. And for all you over-eager taggers out there, hope you had your fun ;-P

1) I’m a lifelong sci-fi nut. Aside from being a complete Star Trek and Star Wars fanatic while growing up, I’ve read nearly all of Heinlein, Bradbury, Philip K. Dick, Philip Jose Farmer, Frank Herbert, some of Asimov (all 200-odd books would be a real challenge) and many others. I used to audiotape TV shows and listen to them over and over, to the endless frustration of my parents–at one point they were going to confiscate my tapes–rather than give them up, I buried the tapes in the back yard. I’m also probably one of the only people to have video recorded Kubrick’s 2001 off-air in 1977 on a Sony EIAJ-1/2″ black-and-white reel-to-reel recorder (five 30-minute reels, changed tapes during commercials). Also, I loved Space 1999, UFO, Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, and Battlestar Galactica. Now, I like futurism and science fact like Kurzweil, Sagan, Ridley, Dawkins, Pinker, etc. I can’t stand the political and religious lunacy that’s happening now, let alone in humanity’s dark past. The future seems bright to me, though based on the current climate it’s not at all clear we can get there from here.

2) Not enough geek?? I programmed in FORTRAN and VAX assembler while in college using punch cards. Later it was PASCAL. Never tackled C or any of its variants. I did, however, build an early Intel 8085 computer from a kit in 1979. Now I know just enough to be dangerous about networking. My current setup involves 10 computers total for personal and business use, and a Sony Broadcast Digital Betacam, an analog Betacam, and a DVCAM deck. My video editing system is an Avid Adrenaline HD on an HP xw-8000 with 1TB of internal storage. The system also runs Pro Tools. My main server has two RAIDed 500GB drives, and my most recent addition is a Facilis Terrablock 4TB fiber channel video server with 8 drives (also RAIDed and hot swappable). The ATTO fiber channel cards are capable of 200 megabytes per second sustained throughput. My entire network is hardwired, I own no wireless networking products. I own no Apple equipment. Thanks to my robust computer setup, I have donated over 25 years (and counting) of computing time toward cancer research through the World Community Grid computing project.

3) I have traveled widely, mostly when I was young with my parents. We went to every state in the U.S. in my dad’s tourbus, and (by air) to Canada, Mexico, all over South America, Europe, Africa, India. Mostly it made me glad to live in the U.S. of A. But with the politics lately I’m not so sure anymore…

4) Some famous people I’ve seen in person or met directly (not counting public performances), in no particular order: Jon Anderson (of Yes), Ian Anderson (of Jethro Tull), President Tolbert (of Liberia) who was soon deposed, General Acheampong (of Ghana), and General Akuffo (who later deposed Acheampong), Indira Gandhi, Billy James Hargis, the current Dalai Lama, Ben Stiller, Tommy Lee, John Petrucci (of Dream Theater, at Mesa-Boogie booth, NAMM 2000), Jess Stearn, Christopher Forbes and his family (we still exchange holiday cards), Cheryl Ladd (Charlie’s Angels), Forrest Sawyer, Peter Liguori (president of FOX, worked for him directly at FX), the cast of “The Shield,” Garry Shandling, John Denver.

5) Famous people I’d like to meet, in no particular order: Neil Peart, Ray Kurzweil, Geddy Lee, Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Bill Gates, Richard Dawkins, Maynard James Keenan, Trent Reznor.

6) My current favorite TV shows are the ones I’ve been promoting for the past few years (The Shield, Nip/Tuck, and Rescue Me) with one addition: I think Dexter is one of the most bad-ass shows ever written. I also liked the Sopranos a lot while it lasted.

7) Some things I wish I could do before I die: Go to space (moon, maybe–I can dream). See a volcano erupt. Watch a tsunami from a distance. Witness a nuclear test. Skydive. Watch a rocket launch. Visit some of the places I haven’t been such as Asia and Australia. Experience direct neural connection to the ‘metaverse.’ Produce and edit a documentary. Edit a dramatic feature.

8) Things I hope happen before I die: The end of fossil-fuels. Planetary sustainability and healing of environmental damage. Legal framework requiring all products and services to be tracked cradle-to-cradle to eliminate waste and unpaid externalities. Robots to perform many or most menial jobs so humans can be free to pursue pleasure, artistic expression or additional education. Cure of Alzheimer’s, HIV and cancer, cystic fibrosis, etc… Achievement of practical fusion power. Solving the nuclear waste dilemma. Universal requirements for scientific education and the teaching of critical thought and humanistic ethics. Universal access to adequate food and clean drinking water. Universal web connectivity. Some form of objective planetary government established (previous post). Radical life extension. And finally, the end of faith.

I’m tagging:

Aaron Kinney

Francois Tremblay

Zachary Moore

University Update - Hillary Clinton - var rnd = Math.random(8) / June 28th, 2007, 1:55 am / #1

[…] Wesley Clark Link to Article hillary clinton var rnd = Math.random(8) » Posted at Black Sun Journal on Thursday, June 28, 2007 [ 805l] Eight random things about me… OK, this “8 random things” meme is out of control. The only reason I’m doing this is for my buds olly and tobe38 who frickin’ tagged me. I guess I should just use it as an excuse to talk about myself. I don’t like it. We’re supposed to be focusing on issues, not personality. (Yeah, right.) View Entire Article » […]

University Update - Bill Gates - var rnd = Math.random(8) / June 28th, 2007, 1:56 am / #2

[…] YouTube Link to Article bill gates var rnd = Math.random(8) » Posted at Black Sun Journal on Thursday, June 28, 2007 [ 805l] Eight random things about me… OK, this “8 random things” meme is out of control. The only reason I’m doing this is for my buds olly and tobe38 who frickin’ tagged me. I guess I should just use it as an excuse to talk about myself. I don’t like it. We’re supposed to be focusing on issues, not personality. (Yeah, right.) View Entire Article » […]

Doris Tracey / June 28th, 2007, 6:07 am / #3

Sean- Good Morning!

You personality is so much like my boyfriend Harry Josten a tall ,blond German. Guess what, I saw a launch to the moon from Cape Kennedy on a yacht in the early 1970’s. I never traveled so much with any human being in my life as I did with him. He had a quick temper,but got over it fast . He was an electrical engineer and was always inventing,learning and moving. He would try anything new to the point of almost killing himself a few times. He was a great friend I’ll never forget him!

olly / June 28th, 2007, 7:40 am / #4

C’mon Sean, Narcissistic ego stroking is one of the hallmarks of the blogging world! :) Hell, at the very least we all do this so someone else will read it, even if some people won’t admit to that.

-olly

BlackSun / June 28th, 2007, 8:16 am / #5

Yes, olly, it actually is kind of fun once you get going. It’s bite-size autobiography. Just have to remember not to do it at parties! ;-)

Doris, a Saturn V launch from a yacht!! I’m so jealous.

Dennis Fisher / June 28th, 2007, 8:30 am / #6

Sean, I have read many of the same Sci-Fi books including Stranger in a Strange Land. My first computer was a TRS80. Famous people.. a few.
Travel, Mexico Canada mostly, love traveling in USA. Current TV shows i like are The Ultimate Fighter, American Idol, and Dragon Ball Z. Before i die i would
like to Climb Half Dome. Two things I wish would happen before i die 1. Cure for Cancer and of course #2, World Peace and Freedom under the Libertarian frame work.

tobe38 / June 28th, 2007, 11:58 am / #7

Just for the record, I didn’t regret tagging you before and I don’t regret it now. I see where you’re coming from on the whole personalities and ideas issue, but ideas are only worth the effect they have on people.

We all read each others blogs day after day, I think it’s nice every now and againt to remember that we are actually people. I don’t think there’s any harm, once in a while, in remind our readers that there is actually a real human being, with friends, and family, and a job, and hobbies, and pet peeves, and bad habits, behind the words. We are focusing on the ideas, but if we don’t reveal a little personality from time to time, then we may as well be androids.

I thorougly enjoyed reading your 8 facts – I feel I will enjoy your writing all the more for knowing them. :)

BlackSun / June 28th, 2007, 12:10 pm / #8

Thanks, tobe. I’m not really mad at you guys, and I went ahead and tagged some others as well. You’re right, it is good to put stories to the writers. I just would not have chosen to write about myself right now, with so many other stories to be followed. (I’ve got a couple brewing.) Anyway, you have my grudging thanks for helping me be a bit more personable.

BlackSun / June 28th, 2007, 4:08 pm / #9

Dennis, those are some points we can agree on :-)

cragar / June 29th, 2007, 9:25 am / #10

Wow, I thought I was a geek. My friend and I used to play the Six Million Dollar Man in our vacant lot next to our house growing up, we used to let my little brother be the Bionic Woman :-)

I remember the Fortran punch cards as well. At one time in our basement, I had a TRS80, Commodore Vic-20 and a 64, and an Apple at the same time.

I just read your about page, wow. I grew up in Colorado Springs but I think I am a little younger than you.

Great read.

BlackSun / June 29th, 2007, 10:20 am / #11

cragar, ha ha, little brother got to play the girl. Whereabouts in Colo Spgs?

cragar / June 29th, 2007, 10:40 am / #12

I actually grew up in Security, down by Fort Carson. Most of my family still lives there.

BlackSun / June 30th, 2007, 9:35 am / #13

When I was growing up, Security was way outside of town. (Or so it seemed to a little kid.) Hasn’t Colorado Spring quadrupled in size since the early ’70’s?

cragar / July 2nd, 2007, 10:44 am / #14

Yeah, when I was young it was considered the boonies. Mostly military families lived in the area back then. Now it’s really just a part of the city. Every time I go back it is amazing how many more new houses/shopping centers are up.

When you first put me in the Symposium #3 I skimmed your blog, but then I went on vacation and didn’t really read a lot of posts until last week. It’s very good and your story is fascinating to say the least. Looking forward to more.