David Cross

408l

David Cross was born in Atlanta Georgia on April 4th, 1964 but grew up in Roswell Georgia. He attended Emerson College in Massachusetts but dropped out about a year later to begin his career as a stand up comedian. He was part of several comedy troupes in the Boston area, including Cross Comedy, which occasionally performed before and during concerts featuring local bands, most notably the Cavedogs.

He began his television career as a writer for the short lived Ben Stiller Show on the fox network. He occasionally appeared on the show and had a speaking role in one of it’s most ambitious sketches, “The Legend of T.J. O’Pootertoot”, which was written almost entirely by Cross.

It was during this period that he first met Bob Odenkirk, with whom he would later co-create the HBO comedy series Mr. Show which ran from 1995-1998. In addition to the leading roles he played in series such as Arrested Development, he has played smaller roles in shows such as Just Shoot Me, The Drew Carey Show, NewsRadio, Strangers with Candy, and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

David Cross again teamed up with Bob Odenkirk to produce a feature film, based on one of their Mr. Show characters, called Run Ronnie Run. The film was satirical of the reality TV craze, and had cameos from many stars. However, Cross and Odenkirk came into creative conflict with the director, Troy Miller, and after nearly two years of production, New Line Cinema sent it straight to DVD. Bummer.

Cross maintains a notable stand-up career consisting of material that often blends left-wing political commentary and crude humor, including such seemingly unfunny topics as America’s wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, anti-abortion activists, pedophile priests, fundamentalist Christians, ignorant liberals, boneheaded conservatives, the lies of George W. Bush, and corporate control of American politics.

He has released two highly-successful CDs to date, Shut Up You Fucking Baby! and It’s Not Funny. He was also given his own one-hour comedy special on HBO in 1999 entitled The Pride Is Back. In 2004, Shut Up You Fucking Baby! was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Comedy Album. Cross released his first tour film in 2003 entitled Let America Laugh, and was named number 85 on Comedy Central’s list of the 100 greatest standups of all time.

Cross has always been recognized as the slightly nerdy slapstick comedian, but most of his comedy maintains a very progressive, liberal attitude. Recently, Cross has teamed up with actor H. Jon Benjamin to create the T.V. series Freak Show which made its debut onto Comedy Central on October 4th, 2006.

Quote:

The Bible truly is one of the funniest books I’ve ever read. … It was written thousands of years ago, when people were even dumber than they are today. … It’s absurd to believe in that shit.” – Shut Up, You Fucking Baby!, 2002

David Cross PETA

Heather Annastasia Siladi / April 3rd, 2007, 4:52 pm / #1

David Cross rocks.

May I link to a hi-larious picture?

BlackSun / April 3rd, 2007, 5:05 pm / #2

Thanks, Heather! Added it to the post :-)

just say no to christ / April 4th, 2007, 10:12 am / #3

Thanks for posting Laurence. I’m a big fan of David Cross and Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I can’t believe I havent heard about ‘Shut Up You Fucking Baby’! Now I have to go to block busters.

Thanks
Amy

Laurence / April 6th, 2007, 1:33 am / #4

thanks guys, david cross is really cool, i would suggest reading further about him. he’s a really funny guy.

Wish You Were Here / April 6th, 2007, 2:07 pm / #5

I once waited on him at “The Flying Biscuit” in Atlanta and he gave me a $20 tip. He ordered fried green tomatoes, which cost about $5. Also, I saw his standup routine in probably 2004 in Athens, Georgia, at the 40-Watt Club. It was one of the funniest things I’d ever seen.

Engineer-Poet / April 7th, 2007, 9:01 am / #6

Completely OT, but since I have no other route of communications:

Heather has decided to make her blog private.  I can no longer respond or even look at responses there (something to do with lack of a Google account, which I refuse to get because of Google’s data retention policies and disrespect for free speech).  Last, there is no value posting educational material where it can be seen only by people ideologically committed to contrary views.

Morgaine / April 9th, 2007, 6:08 pm / #7

Engineer-Poet

I went through the same thing. I had/have some material to offer the folks at the site, and was going to do so, but I couldn’t get in. But it appears to have reopened to the public. Not that it necessarily means openness in other regards …I’m not at all sure of that. But, I’d like to think so ..I guess we’ll see. I know you made efforts to break through the stridency, and I appreciate it because the issue can’t be taken too seriously, for many reasons. For what it’s worth, thank you for the work you have done/are doing in assessing environmental issues. If I do decide to offer my perspective and some informaton which has contributed to my stance, hopefully it will be digested and considered. Hopefully there won’t be a knee jerk reaction where I get lumped into a category by virtue of my conclusion.. Based on your experience, I’m not holding my breath, but I’m staying open to that possibility.

I do have a technical question for you..and since it’s OT, perhaps we could take this to a comment area under BSJ’s last environmental post….or email me at morgainele@gmail.com.
Thanks

Intergalactic Hussy / June 14th, 2007, 4:26 pm / #8

I did not know he was an atheist for sure, but thanks for posting!! I always thought he was funny and now have more of a reason to like him.

PETA Ads « Efren’s Life In Wordpress / August 3rd, 2008, 12:55 am / #9

[…] These ads are good though. Maggie Q Sophie Monk Eva Mendes Sadie Frost David Cross […]

malissa / April 20th, 2010, 2:37 am / #10