More Nanny Government

Arnold signed a bill making it illegal in California to hold your cell-phone while talking. (But you can still play with your ipod, tune the radio, eat, look at a map, slap your kid, or numerous other distracting activities.) The irony is, all those other activities that are still legal require taking your eyes off the road. Holding your cell phone while talking does no such thing.

Dubya will sign a bill making it illegal for you to gamble on the internet. (Can’t have people being accountable for their own wagers now, can we.)

The supreme court allowed a Texas law to stand outlawing the sale of sex-toys shaped like sexual organs. (But other sex-toys shaped like, say, a broom handle or a traffic cone, will presumably still be allowed to be sold.) The Texas law is laughable, because it bans the SALE of such items, but not their use. I guess this means the lawmakers must get their sex-toys through mail-order!

Paul P / October 3rd, 2006, 2:02 am / #1

Sounds nuts, but its happening in a lot of places. Try living in the UK, where they are trying to force kids at school to eat healthily…or even Tony Blair’s plans to solve the problem of dysfunctional families.

When will the muppets realise? People will eventually find a way to rebel and do the exact opposite of what they get told to do…especially if its forced upon them

Its the way nature seems to work

BlackSun / October 3rd, 2006, 9:23 am / #2

Paul, thanks for stopping by. Interesting article.

“Eugenics” is a scary thing. Although assistance to new parents who are struggling might sound like a good idea, it has to be done with the utmost care and respect for the individual.

Too often the government wants to do things for people’s “own good.” This is especially true when it comes to children.

Paul P / October 4th, 2006, 3:26 am / #3

Yep, too right. Its a weird world sometimes.
There are +ves and -ves to every situation that arises..depends what perspective each person takes of it.

PS No worries, I stop by occasionally to read and muse. Some great articles on the site, debates and arguments! I’m glad that you found your own voice in the end.

Like you and many others, I have my own past growing as a young kid, ‘with you know who’, believeing in stuff and then letting go of it all.

I have also been finding my own voice for several years and at the present moment, don’t need the excess crap of religions, cults and belief systems.

May the free-thinkers continue to grow in numbers…

PPS Don’t know if you have a review of any Richard Feynman’s books on here? (E.g “Surely you’re joking Mr Feynman!” – Adventures of a curious character)

I’ve been a bit too lazy to look. But anyway if there was a person I would have like to have met and spent a day with, it would have been him.

Aaron Kinney / October 4th, 2006, 4:41 pm / #4

So can they still give them away for free with a mere “suggested” donation or something?

Imagine a non-profit sex toy organization! LOL!

BlackSun / October 4th, 2006, 5:59 pm / #5

Aaron, I think we should start one: “Texans for Anatomically Correct Orgasms.”

Anyone want to write the grant proposal? LOL!

say no to christ / October 5th, 2006, 2:43 pm / #6

Is our country and the UK uptight about sex or what?!? I think the right wing nut jobs needs to learn how to enjoy their own sex lives and leave others alone, for crusts sake! LOL

Dr.Know / February 8th, 2007, 10:47 pm / #7

Nanny government should be outlawed.