Far Cry

Snakes and Arrows 600

Now for some good news: The new Rush album Snakes and Arrows has completed recording and is scheduled for a May 8, 2007 release. As I mentioned earlier, the concept album is meant to be Peart’s reflections on faith and its misapplication he’s seen in his travels around the world (especially by motorcycle through America’s heartland). From the lyrics to “Far Cry,” it seems to also have a more global, metaphorical perspective. I’m not going to comment specifically, anyone with half a brain can figure out what Peart is getting at. All I have to say is “good one.” The track can be previewed over at rush.com–though it might be removed or changed as the album release gets closer. What’s cool is that this song is based around the Hemispheres chord any Rush fan will instantly recognize.

I’m also excited by the album track listing: Titles like “Armor and Sword,” “Workin’ them Angels,” and best of all “Malignant Narcissism.” Any band who would write a song called “Malignant Narcissism” is at the top of my list! Can’t wait to hear what Peart has to say on this subject. (They could have called this album American Mirror as far as I’m concerned. If the shoe fits…) But Snakes and Arrows is a little more sophisticated and subtle. Just the philosophical “spit and polish” I’d expect from Rush. Enjoy!

[UPDATE: According to the album bio, Malignant Narcissism is one of at least two instrumentals on the album. Damn, I was hoping a song with that title would have been a political manifesto.]

Far Cry

by Neil Peart

Pariah dogs and wandering madmen
Barking at strangers and speaking in tongues
The ebb and flow of tidal fortune
Electrical changes are charging up the dawn

It’s a far cry from the world we thought we’d inherit
It’s a far cry from the way we thought we’d share it
You can almost feel the current flowing
You can almost see the circuits blowing

One day I feel I’m on top of the world
And the next it’s falling in on me
I can get back on
I can get back home
One day I feel I’m ahead of the wheel,
And the next it’s rolling over me
I can get back on
I can get back home

Whirlwind life of faith and betrayal
Rise in anger, fall back, and repeat
Slow degrees on the dark horizon
Full moon rising lays ever at your feet

It’s a far cry from the world we thought we’d inherit
It’s a far cry from the way we thought we’d share it
You can almost feel the current flowing
You can almost see the circuits blowing

One day I feel I’m on top of the world
And the next it’s falling in on me
I can get back on
I can get back home
One day I feel I’m ahead of the wheel,
And the next it’s rolling over me
I can get back on
I can get back home

It’s a far cry from the world we thought we’d inherit
You can almost see the circle growing
You can almost feel the planet glowing

One day I feel I’m on top of the world
And the next it’s falling in on me
I can get back on
I can get back home
One day I feel I’m ahead of the wheel,
And the next it’s rolling over me
I can get back on
I can get back home

One day I fly through a crack in the sky
And the next it’s falling in on me
I can get back on
I can get back home…

Heather Annastasia Siladi / March 26th, 2007, 5:57 am / #1

I’m not familiar with Rush. I recognize their sound, so I know I’ve heard them.

Their web site is first rate!

This is what my father would have called devil music, and I may have gotten into it out of spite, but I fell in love with Pink Floyd. I was a teenager in the 90’s, so I had decades of Floyd material to catch up on, and my dad liked it for a while because it was nostalgic. Then came Roger Waters’ Amused to Death ! His best work, I think.

And so I was delivered into the waiting arms of Satan regardless.

*sigh*

Rush is cool. I’m diggin their site!

just say no to christ / March 26th, 2007, 8:03 am / #2

Thanks Sean, I am a HUGE music lover, especially when there is a valid message to be heard.

Amy

Aaron Kinney / March 27th, 2007, 8:44 am / #3

I will choose the path thats clear, I will choose freewill! :D

Intergalactic Hussy / March 27th, 2007, 3:11 pm / #4

I’ve never been a huge Rush fan, but I love your new page design!

BlackSun / March 27th, 2007, 3:21 pm / #5

Heather,

Love that devil music ;-)

I think the reason Rush got that rep was because of the Red Star Man they used back in the ’70s (for the album 2112). It signifies the individual standing alone against the overbearing society. This was based on Peart’s interpretation of Ayn Rand’s novel Anthem. (Rush’s publishing company is still called Anthem Entertainment, though Peart has since publicly denied being a follower of Rand.)

But casual observers saw the Red Star and concluded “devil music.” It’s been sort of a running joke ever since.

jsntc

You probably like all my faves? Rush, NIN, Tool, etc.?

Kinney,

We are going to that show, remember? It’s Hollywood Bowl on July 23. Fan pre-sale starts I believe April 10. Keep checking on the site.

Intergalactic Hussy,

Thank you!

JP2 / April 11th, 2007, 12:34 pm / #6

I’m sorry to say that “Malignant Narcissism” is an instrumental -LOL.

BlackSun / April 11th, 2007, 12:57 pm / #7

JP2, yes I saw that a couple of days ago on the album bio–a little late on the correction, sorry.

Neil also mentions Richard Dawkins The God Delusion in the bio–like he’s not only read it but agrees with its characterization of raising children religious as being child abuse:

I was also thinking, like Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion, about how children are usually imprinted with a particular faith, along with their other early blessings and scars. People who actively choose their faith are vanishingly few; most simply receive it, with their mother’s milk, language, and customs. Thinking also of people being shaped by early abuse of one kind or another, I felt a connection with friends who had adopted rescue dogs as puppies, and given them unlimited love, care, and security. If those puppies had been “damaged� by their earlier treatment—made nervous, timid, or worse—they would always remain that way, no matter how smooth the rest of their life might be. It seemed the same for children.

So I’m not sure Neil’s so neutral about religion as some readers of the Counterparts board might assume on this thread:

regan flint / April 14th, 2007, 11:15 pm / #8

Those Canadian artists. First we get NEIL YOUNG’s Living With War and Live At Massey Hall : 1971 , and now this album?

I guess it means that this is a great year for music!

mapquest / April 15th, 2010, 2:51 am / #9

there are lots of great canadian artists, great article

Economia Politica / November 7th, 2012, 8:19 am / #10

I love the Neil Peart songs!!

Futebol Online / November 7th, 2012, 8:26 am / #11

Neil Peart is very good!

Concursos 2013 / November 7th, 2012, 3:08 pm / #12

I love Neil Peart too!

Unhas Decoradas / November 8th, 2012, 12:48 pm / #13

I can get back on
I can get back home

Dieta dos Pontos / November 10th, 2012, 9:11 pm / #14

Neil Peart! o/

Salve Jorge / November 13th, 2012, 11:37 am / #15

I can get back on

Passagens Baratas / November 20th, 2012, 6:32 am / #16

I love this song!!

Angus / October 17th, 2013, 10:13 pm / #17

Red Sox Manager Terry Francona said of Sabathia.
If you’re moving to Boston, you should know them, because they are so uncharacteristic
of anything he had done in his career of course, he’s only 27 losses short of 200 red sox in his
career. His service in the majors has consisted red sox of
only 35. Babe Ruth was at his peak, Ruth was signed to the Baltimore Orioles on Monday night.

Bottom 9th: Eppley comes in and Punto batting for Spears rifles it down the third base line!

Janne C / October 23rd, 2014, 11:54 am / #18

i dont cry single one time in my life and where can i get someone to write my essay online and essay need i think so of students who getting education via internet at home. Our teacher also recommended it.