An Utterly Faithless Rush

879l

A fantastic performance by Rush last night, July 23, 2007 at the Hollywood Bowl! Best Rush show ever for me. The Black Sun contingent at the show was eight strong, including Aaron Kinney from Kill the Afterlife, who posted these killer You Tube videos. I’m going to follow up with a complete review of the concert, album, and DVD later. Let’s just say for now it was a sublime and totally faithless show (though they didn’t play the song Faithless. Damn.). Here are the lyrics to one of the standout songs from Snakes and Arrows, which was accompanied by an amazing and completely topical video:

The Way the Wind Blows

by Neil Peart

Now it’s come to this
It’s like we’re back in the Dark Ages
From the Middle East to the Middle West
It’s a world of superstition

Now it’s come to this
Wide-eyed armies of the faithful
From the Middle East to the Middle West
Pray, and pass the ammunition

So many people think that way
You gotta watch what you say
To them and them, and others too
Who don’t seem to see to things the way you do

We can only grow the way the wind blows
on a bare and weathered shore
We can only bow to the here and now
In our elemental war

We can only go the way the wind blows
We can only bow to the here and now
Or be broken down blow by blow

Now it’s come to this
Hollow speeches of mass deception
From the Middle East to the Middle West
Like crusaders in a holy alliance

Now it’s come to this
Like we’re back in the dark ages
From the Middle East to the Middle West
It’s a plague that resists our science

It seems to leave them partly blind
And they leave no child behind
While evil spirits haunt their sleep
While shepherds bless and count their sheep

Like the solitary pine
On a bare wind blasted shore
We can only grow the way the wind blows

Catch this tour if you can! Once in a lifetime.

Isorski / July 26th, 2007, 2:54 pm / #1

Nice write up of your concert experience. I think The Way the Wind Blows is such a kick ass bluesy tune for Rush. I saw the band last Saturday in Portland and they were equally epic. If you are interested, I posted a review at my Blog. Enjoy!

Aaron Kinney / August 3rd, 2007, 2:26 pm / #2

YES! YES!

The awesomeness of the show cannot be adequately explained by mere text on a screen. But that doesnt stop us from trying!

Totally bad-ass Rush show. It was my first one. I went in with rather high expectations, and they were greatly surpassed. An amazing, unforgettable experience.

You rock, Sean! Thanx again :)

BlackSun / August 4th, 2007, 6:11 pm / #3

Aaron, it was a pleasure to have you at the show. I always enjoy breaking in new Rush fans :-) I’m still going to do that writeup. Busy week coming up, though.

Mike / August 10th, 2008, 9:18 pm / #4

You should listen to Roger Waters- Amused to Death a highly atheistic album, with Jeff Beck on guitar.

Steve / September 30th, 2008, 8:31 am / #5

Ho Hum….
Too bad Rush cannot write and perform thematic albums anymore. Instead we get preached at about their religion (faith in hope?, lol. peace, love, etc.) It is clear they are extremely out of touch. Yes, Neil had a terrible time a few years ago. But so what, people go through that every day. That he came out of it bitter and cynical is one thing. To waste a good album with it is a tragedy. I am so glad I did not buy this album before hearing it.

BlackSun / September 30th, 2008, 9:35 am / #6

Steve, I would say that you have broadly misunderstood Peart’s position and philosophy.

Happy&Free: .) / September 30th, 2008, 7:31 pm / #7

Loved what I read!! So true So true!
I’m a fan now but still not ever spending any big money on a concert when I can keep it in my savings account! I need it morer than RUSH does! = )
Thks for posting the lyrics!

martymann / May 29th, 2011, 7:57 pm / #8

Hi Sean,
an old friend from Pasadena here.

I'm a huge RUSH fan, seen them at least 12 times live. Time machine tour the best in a long time.

Haven't seen you since we played John Denver songs on guitar, haha. Glad to see your taste for music has improved.

I play guitar and drums now, when I'm not building prototype microscopy systems, for life science/bio-medical R&D

Since this is an old article, I suppose you may not see this, no big.

I did see Eiger B. in Biloxy, MS, back in 81 (we both went to tech school there in the Air Force).

BlackSun / May 30th, 2011, 12:17 pm / #9

Wow, Marty, it's been a long time! I totally remember we had lots of fun until we got caught. They were damn strict back then. Even the wrong music was enough to get you kicked out. I also remember playing a little Elton John and the Eagles. Now I have three sons who are all musicians. Two are studying music in college right now, and the other is a video editor.

I still love Rush, but also Nine Inch Nails, Yes, Dream Theater, Tool, and many more. My music collection today would have made Celeste Lasater faint! Something like 500GB of pounding rock and roll (with a little classical thrown in). I think it would take nearly a year to play through it all. Well, that's what they get for making something off-limits, right?

Or it could just be great music. Really nice to hear from you. Friend me on Facebook, it would be good to stay in touch, Cheers!

martymann / May 30th, 2011, 10:08 pm / #10

I think it's just really great music, I could never do something just for rebellion this long.

I do (now) remember seeing you in DC once, and at the Inn a few times, after those Pasadena days. For as much trouble as I got in back in Pasadena, I retain mostly fond memories.

Tool is amazing, I've seen them 3 times, outstanding every time, I have all their (and A Perfect Circle's) stuff.

NIN, one of my favorites.

Dream Theater, I absolutely love Images and Words, and like A Change of Season, and a few other songs from various albums, not a big fan of their vocalist, but he did do a great job when I saw them with Iron Maiden last summer. Mike Portnoy is one of my favorite Drummers, particularly when he plays with Joe Satriani (my favorite guitarist by far).

Yes, I really liked for a long time, but kind of over them now.

My favorite current band is Porcupine Tree, their drummer Gavin Harrison is my favorite drummer by a pretty big margin (this coming from a big Neil Peart fan, so…) and he just keeps getting better (though I can't say the same for the rest of Porcupine Tree) sadly I think their best albums (In Absentia, Dead Wing, and Fear of a Blank Planet) are in the past, as there most recent "The Incident" doesn't really do it for me.

I spent a lot of time reading BSJ last night (have a severe cold, so couldn't do much else).
Fascinating, really.

I left CUT in my early Teens, but kept a lot of the beliefs for a long time. When I found myself coming to conclusions that didn't jive with those beliefs, I just kind of boxed them up and tossed them in a dusty corner of my mind. After reading a lot of the stuff here on BSJ I'm able to open the box and start dealing directly with the contents.

I think maybe my neglect of not dealing with that stuff may have kept me from moving forward in some areas of personal growth. Don't get me wrong, I don't consider the CUT remnants in my head to be a major issue in my life, just some unresolved stuff I feel ready to be rid of.

I have immense respect for what you're doing here, and find it totally consistent with the Sean I knew years ago, you thought logically then, asked tough questions then, and seemed wise beyond your years.

My Mother is still involved with CUT to some extent, and told me when your mom passed, I remembered the few times that I spoke directly with her, and found only fondness for her.

I'm so glad that you, Erin, Moira, and Tatiana are doing so well.

That's really cool that your kids are all into music, I always feel sorry for kids that don't get music in their lives.

I don't Facebook (or any other social network) but may someday, if so, I'll ping you. I would like to keep in touch. The closest thing (to Facebook) I do is keep some pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/martmannpics