Second Largest Doctor's Group Endorses Medipot

Second Largest Doctor’s Group Endorses Medipot

In a position paper, a leading American medical association has endorsed the medicinal use of marijuana, called for more studies of its medical uses, and urged the US government to get out of the way. The position paper from the American College of Physicians was released last Friday after being approved by the group’s governing body.

The American College of Physicians (ACP) is the nation’s second largest doctors’ organization, behind only the American Medical Association. It is made up of some 124,000 internal medicine specialists dealing primarily with adults.

The college pointed to strong evidence that marijuana has proven useful in treating AIDS wasting syndrome, glaucoma, and the nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy treatments. The college also noted that there is anecdotal evidence for many other medical uses of marijuana, but that research had been stymied by “a complicated federal approval process, limited availability of research grade marijuana, and the debate over legalization.” The science of medical marijuana should not be “hindered or obscured” by the controversy over legalizing the plant for personal, non-medical use, the group said.

Now if only our politicians would follow doctor’s orders.

ClintJCL / February 22nd, 2008, 9:16 am / #1

Politicians acknowledge science?! HAH!

Here’s hoping!

Random Donuts / February 23rd, 2008, 10:27 am / #2

I have a mental illness that accounts for about half of all suicides in the U.S. According to NIMH, bipolar disorder affects only 2.6% of Americans. Do the math…

I have found marijuana to be very helpful. Perhaps the most frustrating and suicide-inducing aspect of bipolar disorder is that you have little to no control of your mood.

Marijuana has been a reliable tool for me to escape from minor depression (if only for a couple hours). It’s simple: You feel like shit. You get high. You feel better. Here’s the key: when you feel better, you’re less likely to blow your head off!

Almost all the manic-depressives I know smoke pot. And while helping an AIDS or cancer patient keep food down and improve their quality of life is great, preventing an otherwise healthy person from blowing their head off…that’s much, much greater.

Yet only one state medical marijuana initiative has ever included bipolar disorder, and it was not approved. From wiki “Treating Bipolar Disorder.”

“Many find that the calming sedation associated with the use of cannabis helps to alleviate depression.” No shit. It’s not rocket science.

My message to politicians: let me fucking grow my own different strains of marijuana (some with unique therapeutic effects) using exotic seeds from Canada or Amsterdam so that I’m less likely to blow my head off…think of all the deaths that could be prevented, fucking assholes!

I did it once for two years in a closet, with expensive strains like El Nino, Blueberry, Super Silver Haze, Flo and Mango…ahhh…those were the days. Tonight I have to smoke shitty, seedy Mexican crap because the demand for kind bud in my area suddenly became much greater than the supply, thanks to the fucking assholes.

Peace.

Random Donuts / February 23rd, 2008, 10:34 am / #3

I must add: If all Americans were atheists, would marijuana be legal? Hell yeah. So, like the majority of the problems I see in the U.S., I blame HypoFuckingChristianity. Sorry so long, but randomly…I go a little nuts sometimes. :)

BlackSun / February 23rd, 2008, 2:38 pm / #4

Random Donuts,

Right on! A compassionate government would stop treating its people like children and allow them to decide for themselves how best to medicate.

Marijuana is one of the most widely consumed drugs in the world, and in moderation I don’t think it’s any more harmful than regular coffee drinking (albeit with the opposite mental effects).

Even though studies have shown that pot smoke can be 20 times more harmful than tobacco smoke, it’s also usually consumed in far, far lower quantities. I’ve found it seldom takes more than one maybe two hits to get the desired effect. And I maybe toke once every 2 weeks, if that. There, I admitted it: I’m a regular pot smoker and proud of it.

Compare the lung damage from 15-20 puffs per cigarette, times multiple cigarettes on a daily basis, and cigs are far worse than pot.

But from a medical standpoint, most drugs have side effects, some worse than others. The slight lung damage from occasional pot smoking can’t be worse than the liver damage that occurs with regular use of common pain relievers. Or for that matter the genetic damage to skin from sun exposure, which often leads to melanomas.

Life is a calculated risk.

Annette C. / February 23rd, 2008, 7:38 pm / #5

from above comment,
“allow them to decide for themselves how best to medicate”.

At what point does “self medicating” with marijuana become “self harming” with marijuana?

Random Donuts / February 23rd, 2008, 9:08 pm / #6

One correction: I shouldn’t blame politicians. I blame Americans and Christianity. If a significant majority of the population wanted marijuana legalized, I think politicians would make it happen.

But because of all the god damn Christian morality police-wannabes, it is still politically very dangerous to advocate legalization, just as it is almost impossible to get elected if you don’t believe in the invisible man. WTF?

BlackSun / February 23rd, 2008, 9:08 pm / #7

Annette C. ,

You so missed the point. Part of growing up as a society is encouraging people to take responsibility for their decisions. That includes what and what not to put in their body. Are we going to regulate fast-food? Are we going to have mandatory exercise? Yet obesity and inactivity are bigger killers than smoking. You can’t save people from themselves. You really don’t want to go down that road.

I do support people paying for burdens they place on others. This could be accomplished with a simple tax on marijuana, medical and otherwise. The proceeds would go toward substance abuse treatment programs, as well as health care for drug-damaged individuals.

Philosophically, allowing self-harm is a necessary choice. I support the right of someone to take poison or jump off a bridge if they choose–or engage in mortal combat (previous article). A group of people who are over-regulated never learn to take care of themselves or make good decisions. If people make a decision to say “yes” to responsibility and good health, it’s meaningless unless they also had the option to say “no” and suffer the consequences. The same goes for morality. Self-discipline is the only true discipline.

A free society is a strong society.

Alex / February 23rd, 2008, 9:13 pm / #8

A cheese grater or rubber duck can become ‘self-harming’ when used in a way that’s obviously unsafe (meth use = obviously unsafe). It’s not the goverment’s job to stop people from hurting themselves, that’s an incredibly slippery slope to get onto, and furthermore the goverment usually does an incredibly poor job of it.

I’m pretty sure that the responsibility and cost of cleaning up after those who harm themselves is both self-imposed by society (we don’t have to help those who refuse to help themselves) and fairly minimal compared to the cost and responsibility of cleaning up after the people who are harming others. It’s a matter of priorities.

Annette C. / February 24th, 2008, 2:56 am / #9

“Ulitimately Society shares the responsiblity and cost of cleaning up after those who harm themselves.” – individuals are responsible for what they do to themselves, I am referring here to the impact of substance abuse, eg. the need for “substance abuse treatment programs, as well as health care for drug-damaged individuals.” as put by BlackSun.
I did not mean that society is to blame for any decison made by the individual, but a dope addict ain’t gonna fund his rehab or health care, unless he/she is a successful celebrity type.
I am totally for choice. But not happy about for footing the bill for another’s indulgence.
If a Dr wants to prescribe a patient marijuana, given the adverse side effects such as anxiety and panic, paranoia and confusion, – (watch out Random Donuts, there’s Christians at your door dude!! -) aggressiveness, hallucinations, sedation, possible suicidal ideation, depersonalization, derealization, poor sense of time, worsened short term memory, addictive behaviors, amotivational syndrome….I could go on but please see http://www.aafp.org/afp/991201ap/2583.html for more.

If Doctors are willing to prescribe this drug, given risk of litigation, good oh, go right ahead. I’m sure this wouldn’t meet with any litigation from those who are already addicted.

It is a matter of choice.
I’ve witnessed the behaviors listed above from ex-boyfriends who are pot smokers.
But I would say they probably smoked more than you.

Alex:
And I’ve not ever heard of Cheese Graters – Rubby Duckies Anonymous – but if these two items could be used as medicine I don’t think there’d be an issue would there.
Thanks for your comments. Don’t spare me.

Random Donuts / February 24th, 2008, 11:16 am / #10

Annette, on September 6, 1988, the Drug Enforcement Administration’s Chief Administrative Law Judge, Francis L. Young, ruled: “Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known….”

Anyone who lists “aggressiveness” as a possible side effect of marijuana, with all due respect, doesn’t know what the hell they’re talking about. Maybe you’re confusing pot with PCP, I don’t know.

Since your point seems to be a “cost to society” argument, how about this: marijuana, if legal, would be extremely cheap. It could very easily replace several expensive prescription drugs, then people like you, rather than “footing the bill for another’s indulgence,” would actually benefit from lower health insurance premiums.

Finally, yeah, I am a little paranoid when it comes to Christians. They breed a lot more than atheists or agnostics and they’re so certain that they’re right about everything. Most importantly, they want to make their beliefs into laws. I’m paranoid when I hear shit like this, and everyone else should be too:

Huckabee: “That’s what we need to do — to amend the Constitution so it’s in God’s standards rather than try to change God’s standards so it lines up with some contemporary view.”
One example of “god’s standards” in the Old T: Kill a Fetus, Pay a Fine, But Eating Shrimp is Not Devine. Look it up.

Cristy / March 12th, 2008, 1:18 am / #11

Annette, some of those symptoms may very well already be present. Like Random Donuts, some people use marijuana to try to treat mental or health problems. So, the people you know may be using marijuana as a type of home remedy for the very problems you are blaming on it. Just remember the primary rule about research-correlation does not prove causation, something the anti-pot people seem to have forgotten. FYI all of the symptoms you listed also fit in a diagnosis of PTSD (except this “antimotivational syndrome” a term only used by groups seeking to ban marijuana-seriously, google it). Did you date any soldiers?

Besides, even if marijuana did have those side effects (a point the I am not conceding), it would still be extremely less risky than mainstream antipsychotics, which can cause permanent nerve and muscle disorders in some cases. Lithium (commonly used to treat people with bipolar disorder) can also cause bone loss, kidney damage, thyroid problems, and seizures. Also, many proscription drugs are addictive, including things like sleeping pills. Face the facts, marijuana is not illegal for medical use because of side effects or (alleged) addictive properties.

Doris Tracey / March 12th, 2016, 12:39 pm / #12

Donald Trump is for medical marijuana only. He told his children…no drinking, no smoking, no tattoos and no drugs!