The Meaning of “Black Sun”

Black_sun_prius_banner_3

The name “Black Sun Journal” refers strictly to this blogs’ approach to intellectual, political, and psychological inquiry. Themes hidden or underexplored in the mainstream culture or media are emphasized here. Black Sun refers to shedding light on the darker side of human nature. It also refers to taking an inverted, uncommon, but not necessarily negative, viewpoint on the issues of the day.

The heading “Black Sun Journal” works for the “Energy Transition” page, too, since industrial pollution often threatens in some parts of the world to “black out the sun.” It is also a workable metaphor for “black” oil and fossil fuel dependency and the wide shadow that has cast on modern civilization. In another considered play on words, global warming causes a growing menace to human society, giving a black quality to the sun, which has traditionally been humankind’s source of life and even its object of worship.

Personally, the name has high value to me. In my journey through life, there have been many dark nights of personal or existential crisis. I’m sure there will be many more in the years to come. We all have them. Some try to escape or develop coping mechanisms in any way they can. (such as antidepressants*, overwork, not admitting it to oneself, etc.) For me, every such crisis presents a further opportunity to develop an interior light to guide my way, free from the need for external crutches or rhetorical devices (such as: religion, following leaders, not thinking about death, or false hopes of an afterlife) to pull me through. Some of my writings are based on my struggles. What others might see as too much self-revelation, I view as saying what others may be thinking.

BSJ is also about individualism. I consider one of the best things about life to be friends and family. They are simply irreplacable. Life would not be worth living without them. Sometimes they fail us, however, or have their own needs which do not include us. As Ian Anderson once sang “…put your bet on number one, and it comes up every time…” We are born alone, and we will die alone. So we must be prepared to take care of ourselves. Relying on others with no plan B is a guaranteed offense to Darwin, and he will (metaphorically) exact a heavy price. In my view, a large majority of the world’s problems are caused or exacerbated by collectivism of one sort or another. The oldest and most powerful metaphor for this is the “Tragedy of the Commons.” Strong individuals build strong businesses and strong communities. Strong individuals radiate an example of self-reliance for others. This is not necessarily a “black” radiance–but it IS contrary to what we are taught by most authorities from kindergarten on–that to be good citizens we should put others before ourselves.

Writing this page would be hypocritical if I didn’t acknowledge individualism’s “black” side. A few examples are amorality, bigotry, narcissism, hubris, abuse of power, manipulation, greed, corporate externalities, and dictatorship. As with corporations, checks and balances on individualism must come from without. Each individual or corporation should strive to advance itself as strongly as possible, and society must design a balanced approach and legal framework for managing the ensuing conflict of interests. i.e. if corporations have become too powerful, it is not the fault of the corporations, who are doing what they are designed (and required by their customers and shareholders) to do–it is the fault of the government for not implementing stronger regulations.

One last play on words has to do with the social structure I was born into. At one time in my life, I was a “favorite son” in my parents’ church organization, expected to eventually assume leadership. I did briefly take on the role of a minister and Vice President of the organization. When I left, many people who were still involved thought of me as having become a “black sheep” and a few have continued vicious verbal attacks over the years. I haven’t paid much attention to the naysayers, but I’ve never much cared for the idea of being thought of as any kind of sheep. Sheep are mostly docile and follow others. Hence in my mind, “black sheep” became “black son” became “Black Sun.”

_____________________________________________________________

*I know many people are genuinely helped by antidepressants, and my intention is not to mount a Scientology-style diatribe against their use. I only wish that users would also take the time to seek out deep psychotherapy and shadow work to see if they can confront some of the uncomfortable existential issues which led them to seek pharmacological help.

Myriam Koepcke / January 25th, 2006, 6:18 am / #1

I have found a Wikipedia definition of a black sun that I thought you might find interesting:

sunrunner / June 15th, 2006, 8:32 am / #2

Hah! And all this time I thought it was a nod to the French psychologist Julia Kristeva, author of “Black Sun.”

“That is perhaps what we seek throughout life, that and nothing more, the greatest possible sorrow so as to become fully ourselves before dying.”
-Celine, Journey to the End of Night

Michael / October 4th, 2006, 8:42 pm / #3

I am another Black Sun.

It is amazing… no reunion, but you are being reunitied.

best / May 10th, 2014, 3:13 am / #4

I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. I think you spend numerous effort and time updating your site. I have bookmarked it and I am taking a look ahead to reading new articles:)

Keven Peters / February 11th, 2015, 1:42 pm / #5

Regular light is valuable. Lamentably, if your room is excessively profound, the inward regions of your room may not be appropriately lit. In this article, I will examine how to get characteristic light to achieve the majority of the ranges of your room, and even rooms that may somehow or another have not access to common light whatsoever.
paraphrasing services

adminpool / May 25th, 2015, 4:28 am / #6

Law is part of our daily lives whether is personal or business therefore it is important to understand the role and the function of it. Law is everywhere at work, when we are driving, school and every other things we do during the day. Without knowing it, everything we do involves law and every decision we make in some way or another law is involved. In this paper I will be discussing what law stands for and what type of laws and role play in my present jog. http://www.fluetlaw.net

adminpool / May 25th, 2015, 4:28 am / #7

When speaking about society law control society and also helps protect human's right and believes. In many cases laws will help solve situation and misunderstanding. When there is law people must probably obey by it and will help citizen be more in control. Law help place the right justices were and when it is needed in a community. http://www.bdlawyer.net

adminpool / May 25th, 2015, 4:29 am / #8

International law has taken centuries to evolve but could easily fall victim to power if reason does not evolve its journey with the changed circumstances. It is important for internationalists to grasp the ramifications of "change" introduced by emerging subjects of international law. Responses that have familiarity with reality would avoid misconstruing the purposes of international law. http://www.healthfreedomlaw.net

adminpool / May 25th, 2015, 4:29 am / #9

Knowing the many different types of auto insurance will help you find the auto insurance exposure you need at a price you can afford thereby allowing you to legally drive in the state you currently reside in. Although using the outlay or price for your next auto insurance document may be a good start whist comparing auto insurance exposure providers it definitely shouldn't the only factor used to determine which company to obtain your next auto document from once you actually decide to make a purchase. http://www.noworriesluxuryauto.net

adminpool / May 25th, 2015, 4:29 am / #10

Simply how much can such a software program which may be auto wealth maker charge? The harder accurate question for you is simply how much do we desire the price of many being? Nicely, while consumer, we would like to try out the program also we want to try out auto wealth maker If it genuinely brings money, you have to can easily earn money from it and then we're prepared to pay out excellent price for that too. http://www.autorentool.net

best essay serv?ce / August 1st, 2015, 3:01 am / #11

Education is to develop the personality of an individual in all aspects socially, emotionally, physically, mentally and spiritually. It builds the personality of an individual professionally to serve in job market.

jasica / August 10th, 2015, 6:22 am / #12

Just about every year many householders toil having adjusting the looks on the lawn for getting the item beautifully in addition to, regardless of is finished, the right snapshot isn't going to go to fruition. In contrast, this gentleman downtown incorporates a wonderfully sleek property yearly. thelandscapeguys

Going property may be very complicated for just a popular specific. On 1 / 2 the purchase price that your completely new acquire connected with property will probably encompass, this householders may make upgrades into their property by using a redecorating personal loan. Just as the off the shelf lending products, this client can certainly pay your house progress personal loan in numerous instalments. ecohomeimprovements

ujassica / August 10th, 2015, 6:23 am / #13

To be a landscaped custom made in addition to guide, persons generally arise to my opinion having a lot of issues about the lawn complications in addition to what exactly they will complete in order to resolve these individuals. Since i are typically some sort of societal style of gentleman, It's my job to spend some time to attempt to remedy the issues for him or her then and there, although most likely it's wise i always stop by their apartment and discover intended for myself personally what exactly this actual difficulties are.theorieslandscapes

jasica / August 10th, 2015, 6:24 am / #14

Just about every year many householders toil having adjusting the looks on the lawn for getting the item beautifully in addition to, regardless of is finished, the right snapshot isn't going to go to fruition. In contrast, this gentleman downtown incorporates a wonderfully sleek property yearly.thelandscapeguys

jasica / August 10th, 2015, 6:25 am / #15

Going property may be very complicated for just a popular specific. On 1 / 2 the purchase price that your completely new acquire connected with property will probably encompass, this householders may make upgrades into their property by using a redecorating personal loan. Just as the off the shelf lending products, this client can certainly pay your house progress personal loan in numerous instalments.ecohomeimprovements

jasica / August 10th, 2015, 6:25 am / #16

Property is usually one among your cost items in addition to we need to complete your extreme and keep the item on it is very best. Some people crash into their endeavor to manufacture a wish property on account of personal demands. In this posting most of us observe how simply at this point we can easily produce your property some sort of wish household.homeimprovementhut

jasica / August 10th, 2015, 6:25 am / #17

Your dream house progress challenge could possibly absolutely help people, this home-owner, in addition to all of those other residence by means of escalating the products daily life; in addition to makes for regain of what seemed to be used on reselling. That helps make technicians an inclusive element of everything connected with simply just almost any property. As soon as picking out just one, this rates they've already displayed will likely be on the list of critical facets from the collection.islandhomeimprovement

jasica / August 10th, 2015, 6:26 am / #18

As soon as planning for a redecorating, remember that you are making an investment besides with your Big apple household although with the products located the item gives you the whole family. This products, provides, home equipment, attributes, features, pieces of furniture along with household furniture which is to be built-into this challenge will probably enormously promote the strength, ease in addition to efficiency.elementshomeimprovements

Columbus / August 14th, 2015, 8:20 pm / #19

Great point —> Each individual or corporation should strive to advance itself as strongly as possible, and society must design a balanced approach and legal framework for managing the ensuing conflict of interests. Columbus