Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery

Not strictly a religious killing, but worthy of note, because the cultural tradition that allows the murder of those suspected of ‘adultery’ comes straight from Islam. This one has a further twist: the man killed his 8, 7, and 4 year old daughters with a machete in front of their mother. This is because he thought they ‘might’ commit adultery in the future.

MULTAN, Pakistan (AP) — Nazir Ahmed appears calm and unrepentant as he recounts how he slit the throats of his three young daughters and their 25-year old stepsister to salvage his family’s "honor" — a crime that shocked Pakistan.

Bibi recounted how she was awakened by a shriek as Ahmed put his hand to the mouth of his stepdaughter, Muqadas, and cut her throat with a machete. She said she looked on helplessly from the corner of the room as he then killed the three girls — Bano, 8, Sumaira, 7, and Humaira, 4 — pausing between the slayings to brandish the bloodstained knife at his wife, warning her not to intervene or raise alarm.

"I was shivering with fear. I did not know how to save my daughters," Bibi, sobbing, told AP by phone from the village. "I begged my husband to spare my daughters but he said, ‘If you make a noise, I will kill you."’

"The whole night the bodies of my daughters lay in front of me," she said.

He said he bought a butcher knife and a machete after midday prayers on Friday and hid them in the house where he carried out the killings.

If prayer is so great, all you fundamentalists, why didn’t your ridiculous imaginary god stop this animal??? And you moderates who whine about tolerance are no better. Oppose religion with all your heart and soul, or you are part of the problem. If I thought it would help, which it wouldn’t, I’d be on my knees every day to rid the earth of this vile and wretched cancer.

Many scholars and anthropologists try to make a firm distinction between honor killing and Islamic law, by stating that Islam specifically prohibits murder. But these are weasel words.

The official Islamic party line:

"Like all other religions, Islam strictly prohibits murder and killing without legal justification. Allah, Most High, says, “Whoso slayeth a believer of set purpose, his reward is Hell for ever. Allah is wroth against him and He hath cursed him and prepared for him an awful doom.” (An-Nisa’: 93) The so-called “honor killing” is based on ignorance and disregard of morals and laws, which cannot be abolished except by disciplinary punishments."

The reality:

Traditional interpretations of Islamic law (or sharia) prescribe severe punishments for zina , or extramarital sex, by both men and women…Premarital sex could be punished by up to 100 lashes, while adultery is punishable by lethal stoning. The act must, however, be attested by at least four Muslim male witnesses of good character; punishments are reserved to the legal authorities, and false accusations are themselves punished severely. This is however not considered honor killing.

What??? So it’s OK to kill by lethal stoning, if several people witness the act, but not OK if one person does it with a machete. Sounds like mixed messages to me, and there’s no way they’re going to stop this carnage without renouncing the entire diabolical and twisted sharia.

But you can’t stop there. Sharia is a bad fruit from a bad tree. All sorts of moderate muslims will object to my premise. But none of this would be happening if somehow in the back of their minds, these murderous fools didn’t think god was on their side.

Full story

Aaron Kinney / December 29th, 2005, 12:52 pm / #1

Well said Blacksun. Its sad and funny at the same time to see “moderate” Muslims rationalize their sharia code by throwing in provisions like “4 male witnesses of good character” and such, as if these provisions somehow make OK what is a truly barbaric and inhumane religious moral code.

Life in Pakistan must be just full of peaches and cream. Sounds like theres alot of educated and happy people over there. Nothing brings honor to ones family like killing your own children. I hope one day that I can kill my future children and bring as much honor to my family as this guy brought to his.

Seriously though, its hilarious to think that Muslims in the Middle East are worried about Western culture corrupting THEIR way of life! Whats the worst that can happen? More sex and less violence? Allah forbid that that should happen! Morons.

Aaron Kinney / December 29th, 2005, 12:58 pm / #2

Another thought:

These religions and cultural codes, both Western and Eastern, seem to hurt our children the most. How horrible!

From children being lied to about mystical gift-giving beings and how newborn humans come from storks, to making children suffer or even die due to imagined demonic possession or the possibility of the child having sex out of wedlock in the future, the children of the world are the most at risk of harm or death due to our religious views.

And we have seen alot of innocent children suffer as of late. Religion is taking another big bloody bite out of humanity with each passing day. Man that sucks.

BlackSun / December 29th, 2005, 8:41 pm / #3

Aaron, thanks for your comments. This is just the tip of the iceberg. The statistics say that there are thousands of these killings each year. Only the most sensational get reported. I know it gets kind of redundant posting about this so often, but hey, its the least anyone can do in the face of such inhumanity.

Daniel O'Connell / January 19th, 2006, 3:07 am / #4

Blacksun:

Rather than the extinguishment of religion (as you seem to be a proponent for) can we not agree that the eradication of ignorance is what is so needed to move mankind forward.

When the tool of ignorance has been removed from the aresenal of tyranny that has been the machinery for organized religion and governments, then mankind will be free to soar to the heights of creative awareness.

Without ignorance there can only be enlightenment. Whatever enlightenment may mean to each individual; for each of us sees through the lens of our own subjective experience.

And if we are in agreement then it should also follow that if we are to set about with the goal of individual and world enlightenment then we need to research carefully the subjects we are covering being especially careful not to as far as is humanly possible inject any of our biases that may be predisposed by our lens.

I hope you don’t feel that I am patronizing you in any way or being too didactic. My intent is only to share my bit of knowledge.

Perhaps we don’t believe in Islam or God for that matter. But whatever belief or non-belief we have does not, all ethical reasoning aside, invalidate other points of view.

When we give out information that is contrary to fact we only reinforce our own belief system the effect of which makes us “fundamentalists” of another sort.

The Islam of the Quran does not allow or prescribe in any way the killing or execution of men women or children thought to have commited adultery, much less any future acts.

There is however as concerns a husband and wife a clause if you will that allows that if a a man swears to God four times that his wife had commited adultery then it makes it so. But the collolary to that is that if the wife also swears four times that she is innocent then it is so decided she is innocent.

The Sharia law that is used in parts of the middle east and especially Africa, has no semblance to Quranic scripture. But is instead a creation of Imams (teachers) that came after Mohammed and wrote down their own teachings.

One example of these post mohammed Imams is that of the Wahabi of which the royal house of Saud bases their system of law upon; including the maltreatment of women and forcing them to wear the burkas which cover Arab women from head to toe, allowing only minimal oxygen to be brought into the lungs, by way of very small holes in the veils which cover the face and head of each of their “chattle”.

This is a great aberation of a cultural tradition spanning thousands of years, of women wearing a veil and scarf which covers only the head (not face) as even the Apostle Paul taught. So the veil is not an islamic invention but one that like many of the traditions of Islam is rooted in Judaism and adopted by both Christians and Muslims, all three having claimed an inheritance in Abraham and the Old Testament.

BlackSun / January 21st, 2006, 11:45 pm / #5

Daniel,

while you are correct that many of the worst abuses are sanctioned by cultural, and not necessarily religious traditions, I’m not sure that you can effectively separate them.

One thing is for sure, the religions talk out of both sides of their mouth. On the one hand, they preach tolerance, but on the other they enforce draconian laws. They need to make some choices. And I don’t think they can easily do this without the whole thing coming unraveled.

One thing is for sure: there is no equivalence whatsoever between the fanatical fundamentalism that supports these atrocities, and the very reasonable efforts to ensure secular rights and just treatment for all.

Amen A. Sigala / August 10th, 2008, 6:21 am / #6

To D.O.
I’m a former member (please take the time to read a couple of my comments around that I am so grateful to Sean for having kept them) and I’ve gone thru enough of all this insanity to understand the following. If there is any mention of killing a human being in anything in life WHY IN THE WORLD ALLOW IT TO CONTINUE TO BE FOLLOWED ? THAT IS UNCIVILISED ! PERIOD !
I saw a movie telling us American veiwers of the first minor in U.S. history to be put to death in “89” in a gas chamber ! An action that moved the present laws to try minors at 16 as adults ! This 15 yr old girl was neglected and violated at a VERY young age ! But because she murdered, under forced influence of heroin, an active wking Military man who took her in at 14, started an intimate relationship with her and when his Military base officer found out he kicked her out in the streets where he found her. This was in the state of Oklahoma. How conservative can u get in the U.S. OF A. !?
I don’t thhink this “89” death row victim is any differnt than the story above !
Capitol punishment is a Biblical practice ! SICKOS ! Organised religion is equal to Greek and all Mythology ! I confidently will say it WILL END UP IN THE EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM AS SUCH ! I will be sure to pave the way for this before I make my “transition” from this reality to the Earth. I can’t leave this world the way it is for children just living my own life after all I’ve been thru as a child myself !
I believe there is a mathmatical system for the way everything is moving and Organised Religion isn’t part of that future but in it’s appropriate place “History of Theology and Mythology” NOT REALITY !
My goal is civilisation, organised religion has no place in a civilised community ! Former Soviet Union and present day Communist China isn’t civilised ! They oppress, dictate JUST PLAIN BULLY THEIR PEOPLE ! and they have never truly practiced communism by the way. Communism has never been truly practiced ! Its been a guise.
We’ve all been miseducated by U.S. propaganda. This meaning if u are thinking of examples of non-religious tolerating establichments to write bk to me on, don’t bother I’ve said it already. Remember I believe it needs to be in historical studies not reality.
Stop religious murders by not allowing Organised religion to be taught as part of a good and civilised way of life.
Freedom of Religion can always be abolished and replaced w/ Freedom to Study Religion, I know I know it’s the same either way just a thought, he he:) No matter, it’s one of those things life has made to have to be taken care of in time, unfortunatly for those who will continue to be victimes like the girls above, because those of u who want to continue to be loyale to something that is psychologicly justifing all this insanity, evil, cruelty, crazyness,!!! WAKE UP !!