You Can't Check Out of the Club

You Can’t Check Out of the Club

Without going into any theological matters, it is important to understand that humanity doesn’t like to see anyone check out of the club. Much like the social structure of any Mafia, quitting is next to impossible. It is unfair to blame this on Christianity; if we go back to the early German tribes who were plundering the Roman Empire, being a free agent simply wasn’t possible. It was necessary to belong to your tribe, and if you did, there was protection, family, and even the chance at happiness. If you belonged to the other tribe and were unlucky enough to be taken prisoner, you had at least a hope for a speedy death- at best a chance at a prisoner exchange. If either tribe found you in the woods claiming independence and indifference, they both would have killed you. This is because the social animal “Man” disdains individualists, and has been struggling against those who swim against the current in search of freedom from the tyranny of the majority.

Anti-atheist bigotry as a remnant of tribalism. Interesting viewpoint. I don’t think it’s too far off the mark. A difficult human challenge for us individualists.

Roger / December 4th, 2007, 8:43 am / #1

That depends on your definition of bigotry which we paint with such a broad stroke these days, In this age of political correctness or “tolerance” a person who favors one faith system over another or worse, claims a knowledge of absolute truth are considered narrow-minded, unenlightened, a bigot.

As a Christian I know and believe that their was a resurrection and that Jesus is the only way, to be open-minded about that will not only be a betrayal to my Lord God but to my very existence and I will always stand firm on that unchanging and unwavering but that doesn’t mean that I can’t show respect and compassion for other beliefs while still holding on to mine. Or does it? There’s the rub

Can we be balanced? Can we hold on to a belief so strongly that we will die for it but at the same show equal respect and compassion to another’s, now that’s a difficult human challenge for us individualists?

BlackSun / December 4th, 2007, 10:41 am / #2

Roger,

Sounds like you’ve painted yourself into a corner. How can you reconcile that with tolerance? You’re always going to look down on someone who doesn’t share your unshakeable convictions. Compassion is only a hair’s breadth away from condescension.

How about getting rid of all beliefs and sticking to the facts? How about making peace with what is unknown about the universe? Or is a bronze-age fairy tale more important to you than true knowledge?

Roger / December 4th, 2007, 11:59 am / #3

Why not? I don’t look down on you just because you are an athiest. I am tolerant to athiest views because I can see from your perspective even the bible talks about it, “without faith it is impossible to please God”, “by faith alone are we saved”, “Because the carnal mind is enmity against God” The fool says in his heart there is no God” .

By these verses alone how can any logical, fair, respectful Christian not have some sort of empathy for an atheistic perspective?

BlackSun / December 4th, 2007, 12:07 pm / #4

That’s supposed to be empathy for atheism? What would antagonism be?

Roger / December 4th, 2007, 1:14 pm / #5

empathy that I can see how an athiest would find it illogical by believing in a God by faith alone.

BlackSun / December 4th, 2007, 1:49 pm / #6

Roger, I see what you are saying. But it still sounds like a putdown. If you can see how it’s illogical, then why do it yourself?

Peter / December 5th, 2007, 10:39 pm / #7

“The fool says in his heart there is no God”

denigrating somebody is tolerance?

What do you mean by tolerance? Just suffering my, by your standards, blatant idiocy?

I do not ask for tolerance, my private goal is to see that religion – at least in its virulent organized form – will be destroyed.
Religion is the bane of humanity if it is connected with power or achieves power as an institution.