Mormons Blackmail Student Over Diploma

Apparently, diplomas are conditional and can now be revoked at will. If there was ever a better argument for secularizing all colleges, I haven’t heard it. This action also demonstrates mind-numbing levels of hubris and it’s just plain mean-spirited.

In a sickening attempt to engage in behavior modification and blackmail, the school has offered to reconsider the revocation if the student was "reinstated" as a church member in good standing. Right.

So much for religious ‘morality’ and compassion. It’s a classic ham-fisted power play. Taking someone’s freaking college diploma?? Yeah, I guess the implications that some Mormon missionaries might have gay tendencies or simply might like to look at shirtless guys was just too much for them. After all, they’re the same haters who’ve been pumping money into passing California’s prop. eight.

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Brigham Young University has yanked the diploma of a man who created a calendar featuring shirtless Mormon missionaries and was later excommunicated from the church.

Chad Hardy of Las Vegas attended graduation ceremonies Aug. 15 after finishing up his last four units of study online in June. But on July 13, in between completing his studies and the graduation ceremony, he was excommunicated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

A Sept. 30 letter from Norman B. Finlinson, the school’s executive director of student academic and advisement services, said a nonacademic hold was placed on Hardy’s record after the church-owned university learned of the excommunication.

"If in the future you are reinstated as a member of the church in good standing, you are invited to contact my office regarding your possible eligibility for the awarding of a degree," Finlinson wrote.

Hardy, 31, plans to challenge the school’s decision.

"I intend to fight this tooth-and-nail," he said.

Hardy’s excommunication for conduct unbecoming a church member was rooted in his failure to pay tithing, a lapse in other religious obligations and, according to Las Vegas regional church elder Frank E. Davie, his involvement with the 2008 "Men on a Mission" calendar.

Hardy’s calendar sold nearly 11,000 copies and features 12 returned church missionaries in mostly modest poses, minus their trademark white shirts, ties and black plastic name badges.

The calendar was intended to shake up the stuffy, cookie-cutter stereotype often associated with Mormons, Hardy said.

News reports of his excommunication helped sales of the 2008 calendar and have landed Hardy larger U.S. and international distribution contracts for the just-released 2009 edition, which carries a disclaimer that it is not directly affiliated with or endorsed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

bulldada / October 20th, 2008, 6:18 pm / #1

I grew up mormon. And the threat of exile or banishment was/is a BIG deal. Afterall, once you grow up with these people, you end up depending on them. Just as any social system, when it offers you something, be it emotional support, financial support (the Mormon church has a fantastic welfare program) etc. you get used to it and become addicted to it. This kid need not worry. As long as he pays his 10% tithe all will be forgiven! Ha!

H&F: .) / October 20th, 2008, 9:55 pm / #2

Yup! That’s right ! I came to learn alot about Mormons these last 11 yrs. It’s not that it’s socialistic though but the type of psychological social program they practice at every level. It’s manipulative, feeds off guilt & condems one’s liberties when it clashes thiers!
Hey buldada, didn’t mean to throw ur brother off to the side. He means well & hope he comes home to u & the family safely!
Sincerly,
Happy&free

Amaterasu / October 22nd, 2008, 9:57 am / #3

Yes, excommunication, I remember it well. I was booted out of a fundie pentecostal Church many years ago, as a teen. How it came about? Well, it emerged that my ex-boyfriend had “confessed” to touching my breasts. Which, the church considered a form of fornication. So it was two weeks excommunication from a Church I had come to rely on as my social and familial support base. Just me and the King James Bible for two weeks, hopefully being purged of the threat of hellfire and eternal damnation.
Things were a bit stiffer for the pastors daughter who was out for having anal sex. She was not allowed back into the Church until marriage, contrition and a token pregnancy were evident. And not one of these “Butt Pregnancies” either!
It can be shattering to a young person’s confidence to suffer the humilation and abandonment of excommunication, but not as shattering as staying in an organisation like these, until years later, there’s no more fight left.
So I am very encouraged there is battle being waged by Hardy. I hope he doesn’t stop at this battle and continues to expose the oppression and blatant lies inherent in this organisation and it’s dogma.

Iconoklast / October 22nd, 2008, 12:40 pm / #4

Check out the men in the calendar and their bios. Hot!

BlackSun / October 23rd, 2008, 11:02 am / #5

Amaterasu,

Sorry you had to go through that. But it doesn’t seem to have dampened your sense of humor. Hilarious! ;-)

Ann Mere / May 26th, 2010, 1:41 am / #6

Now in 5/10 I am wondering what actually happened to his diploma. If you wonder what mormons actually believe, go to WhatMormonsDontTell.com. Also go to youtube: Edy Meredith Testimony. I hope he got his diploma.