Wal-Mart Bible Petition

Please sign this petition for Wal-Mart to stop selling the bible.

Aaron Kinney / September 1st, 2006, 11:29 pm / #1

Woohoo! The word is spreading!

a / September 5th, 2006, 9:47 pm / #2

Tsk tsk…I wouldn’t sign anything like that.

1.) This freedom to buy a bible doesn’t infringe my freedom from a bible.

2.) Wal-mart won’t ever stop selling (anything).

3.) I simply don’t give a shit.

BlackSun / September 5th, 2006, 11:40 pm / #3

a, the point is political, not to actually get them to stop selling the bible. As others have pointed out, it’s a matter of getting them to apply consistent standards regarding sales of obscene material. It can only help to draw publicity to the bible’s actual pernicious content.

I’m for more freedom of expression, not less. I don’t give a shit about them selling bibles either. But right now, Wal-Mart engages in selective censorship of publications.

Make more sense now? ;-)

a / September 6th, 2006, 1:36 pm / #4

I see. What kind of other “obscence” material is Wally Mart censoring?

BlackSun / September 7th, 2006, 2:02 am / #5

According to Aaron at Kill the Afterlife: “Wal-Mart has a policy against selling offensive media and literature. They’ve invoked said policy in their banning of Jon Stewart’s #1 bestselling book, “America the book” for example.”

Topher / September 7th, 2006, 11:07 am / #6

Yes, the Stewart book as well as Eminem CD’s and other material deemed not suitable for the Midwest.

a / September 10th, 2006, 10:21 pm / #7

Hmm.

I’m still leaning towards Wal-mart’s side. Jon Stewarts book (hilarious might I add) has nudity which is disturbing to some. Particularly the nude SCOTUS Justices. Funny like a train wreck. Can’t look, can’t look away. haha.

The Bible doesn’t have quite the same imagery…

Adron / September 20th, 2006, 12:07 am / #8

The bible has far worse imagery.

On another note, Wal-Mart issued the Pantera CDs censored, Pantera sued Wal-Mart and got their CDs removed from Wal-Mart shelves.

Their attitude was either Americans get the WHOLE of Panter or nuthin at all, and definately not some hodge podge mediocre censored version.

…as for Bibles… I just don’t shop at Wal-Mart anymore, but think I might go sign the petition after today’s relentless banter from two old lifeless women about how important God’s role is in one’s life.

How depressing.

Kap / March 19th, 2008, 8:36 am / #9

This is about the stupidest petition I’ve ever seen. And on the internet, you come across a lot of ridiculous “causes.” You don’t like it, don’t buy it: that simple.

Freedom of speech is much more precious than a few discontented individuals’ atheism.

If you want to take up a political cause, why don’t you look into the more humanitarian one of why Wal-mart can sell its products so cheaply…

BlackSun / March 19th, 2008, 10:47 pm / #10

Kap,

The petition addressed the double standard which allows the Bible to be sold, but censors other (less offensive) works. That’s not stupid.

"if you don’t like it, don’t buy it" should apply to all books, including the ones the religious right doesn’t like. Wal-Mart should not be involved in censorship.

Paula Sable / September 3rd, 2012, 11:14 am / #11

I will get one somewhere ele. WalMart wouls peobably get them from CHina anyway.

Paula Sable / September 3rd, 2012, 11:18 am / #12

As for the petition, is there one in ENGLISH?