Theocracy Roundup

Two disturbing stories from the last 24 hours. Both the result of religious extremism. The first, a new law outlawing all abortions in Nicaragua, even when the mother’s life is in danger (heavily Catholic El Salvador and Chile have similar laws). The second, some outrageous remarks from a senior Australian cleric, who has formerly been a consultant to the government.

In Nicaragua, women who receive abortions and their doctors face 6 to 30 years in prison for violations under the new law. It is now estimated 30,000 illegal abortions are performed annually in that country. The Catholic Church pushed hard for the new law, making it a political litmus test. Sandinista Daniel Ortega signed on to the law to bolster his re-election bid. Though the Sandinistas were champions of women’s rights when they were in power in the ’80s, Ortega has now got religion. This proves that collectivists and theocrats are cozy bedfellows. Not that Ortega ever had values to speak of–he has always been more of an opportunist than anything.

In Australia, cleric Sheik Taj Aldin al Hilali claimed that women who dressed provocatively were responsible for any sexual activity which followed, including rape. His remarks that "If you take out uncovered meat and place it outside on the street, or in the garden, or in the park, or in the backyard without cover, and the cats come to eat it … whose fault is it, the cats’ or the uncovered meat’s."

"The uncovered meat is the problem," he was quoted as saying. "If she was in her room, in her home, in her hijab, no problem would have occurred," he said, referring to the head covering worn by some Muslim women.

While the comparison of women to uncovered meat is outrageous, the comparison of men to cats is equally so. Do Muslim men have that little self-control, that they must project all their sexual urges onto their women? No wonder they wrap them in bags. Muslim men go so weak at the sight of flesh, they can’t control themselves. Or so they claim. Maybe they should examine their culture and figure out what kind of mind-virus made them so pathetic they will go to any lengths–including suicide bombing–to avoid seeing female flesh. The world cannot tolerate these medieval ideas or practices. Theocracy must go.

olly / October 26th, 2006, 9:57 am / #1

“Do Muslim men have that little self-control, that they must project all their sexual urges onto their women? No wonder they wrap them in bags.”

This is what happens when you deny (and people self-deny) our natural urges for so long. Just another case of religion taking a perfectly healthy and normal act like human sexuality and turning it into a repressed fetish that is ‘evil’ or ‘sinful’.

As for the misogyny, it’s not really that surprising to me in the end. Misogyny is about control and fear; the argument (never explicitly stated) goes: control of women means control of procreation, control of procreation means control of populace, control of populace means control of indoctrination, and like every collectivist society, control of indoctrination means the system becomes self-sustaining and the collective (the Party, or the State, or the Movement, whateve it is) remains in control.

As for the abortion issue, the Catholic Church needs to start footing the funeral bills for all of those women who die from illegal back-alley abortions every year, as well as the hospital bills for those that survive them (since they are rarely performed well).

-olly

Aaron Kinney / October 26th, 2006, 1:05 pm / #2

Ah yes. Women are uncovered meat.

I guess we cant fault thieves who rob from you at gunpoint either. You shouldnt have been flaunting your wealth with that fancy watch and billfold full of benjamins, should you?

Fucking nitwits, all of them!

BlackSun / October 26th, 2006, 6:11 pm / #3

Funny thing is, I’ve heard that argument from rednecks, too: “She was askin’ fo’ it.”

To borrow a meme from Neil Peart, funny how the Middle East and the Middle West can be similar in some ways.

say no to christ / October 27th, 2006, 10:55 am / #4

I have been around the net and have read many atheists blogs, and yours, Arron’s and Olly’s are by far the best when it comes down to the real issues and women’s human rights. You guys just get it, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. We need more men in the world like you guys! You are a breed of your own. Most men, even atheist men really don’t give two shits about what is happening to women all over the world. Some of them even claim that it was evolution that put them on top and thats just the way it is. They can not see that evolution has NOTHING to do with the oppression of women. It is religious beliefs that influences our culture and is completely responsible for the oppression of women and our natural sexual INSTINCTS. Nor can they see that religious beliefs are NOT natural! One time I visited a science blog where even the atheists were big fans of a book that caimed rape was biological even through the book has been disproven and deemed bad science. And they were all quite nasty to me for being a feminist and supporting the many archaeological findings of prehistoric matriarchal societies as well as the studies and findings of Native Americans being matriarchal, as well as the matirarchal societies that still exist to this day.(phew) They called me a liar, a dyke, they said I must be ugly and not woman enough to get a man, the list goes on…BTW, not to brag, but, my sons friends say he has a hot mom. And normal everyday feminine women can be and are feminists! Why is that so hard for some men to get? And why do so many of them assume because I am a very active feminst, that my husband must hate me and ignores me? My husband adores me, worships the ground I walk on and is very supportive and incouraging. Yes, he incourages my so called “bad” behavior.lol

IT is men like you guys and my husband that gives me a lot of hope and I do thank you guys for that.:D

Amy

olly / October 27th, 2006, 12:33 pm / #5

@Amy:

Thank you for the praise, I (and I’m sure Aaron and Sean) greatly appreciate it. You are right in your assessment of where the repression of women has come from historically. I would expand it a bit to say ‘collectivism in general’, but Religion is certainly in large part the culprit.

I’ve never understood misogyny personally. Beyond the fact that respect for all human beings is the core value for me, I especially don’t understand the hatred of women that so many cultures hold. Even from a purely biological/evolutionary standpoint, women have more to do with the survival of the species than men do, and I’ve always felt should be respected if for no other reason than that.

Human sexuality is a beautiful, wonderful thing that has been, unfortunately, completely fucked up in just about every culture. Hopefully, as we move away from the repressive nature of past collectivist paradigms, we can begin to see sexuality for the wonder that it is.

-olly

BlackSun / October 27th, 2006, 2:15 pm / #6

Amy, thanks for all your support. I just saw your lengthy post that was buried several days ago. I’ve been too busy writing to be reading, I guess. My bad. I owe you a proper response. What an amazing life story you have!

Anyway with regard to respecting women, it’s a no-brainer for men. After all, since both sexes need each other, we do each other a big disservice when we demonize the other side. Clearly there are differing priorities and agendas for men and women. But we can turn the battle of the sexes around from a vicious to a virtuous circle by starting from a point of respect.

After all, who is more miserable than the men in cultures where they repress their women? No one gets a good deal out of that. Whether it’s in Latin cultures, Muslim, or even in the good old U.S., the repression creates the virgin-whore split: Marry the virgin, fuck the whore. This creates no end of problems. Which then get passed on to the next generation of daddy’s “perfect little girls,” who are expected to have no sexual thoughts. What’s so funny about this whole split is that the older men who are doing the repression, and treating their precious daughters like property were once 14-year old boys, trying to get into someone else’s 13-year old daughter’s pants. How soon they forget.

Anyway, embracing sexuality and the dark feminine has been an important cause of mine for years. I’ve had some exploits in this area that I probably won’t talk about on my blog ;-) which have provided me with some insights about the subject that most repressed American males will never have.

Anyway, Amy, take care, and thanks for sharing your stories and insights.

say no to christ / October 27th, 2006, 5:00 pm / #7

Wow Sean,
You understand the virgin/whore split obssession. I’m impressed! Not many women, letalone men, get that.

Olly

You are wise beyond your years. I couldn’t agree more with you.

Its kind of hard to add anything else to you alls posts, you guys cover all the points. All I can do is incourage you guys to keep up the good work. I really enjoy reading your blogs and comments. It has been quite comforting to know that there are well rounded good people out there. Not many of you, but its a start. :)

Amy

Rhianna Newton / October 30th, 2006, 10:28 pm / #8

>> I’ve had some exploits in this area..which have provided me with some insights

I would love you to reveal some of your insights, but if you feel it is too private to share I respect you.

ThatDeborahGirl / November 17th, 2006, 12:28 pm / #9

I never really think much about atheism and your blog is pretty cool (I just found it today).

I’m a Christian but I’m not a very good one because I think other people’s views and beliefs are valid. Most Christians find my acceptance of others revolting. Go figure.

I like what you say about this man thing and self-control. I was reading an article once about how in Japan, they have special cars for women because the men won’t keep their hands to themselves and how they pinch and grope women on the trains.

It made me wonder why women are regarded so lowly that the men aren’t punished for what is obviously rude and criminal behavior and why the women don’t ban together and simply mop up the floor with the next guy they see do this to another female.