The Petulant Ignorance of the New Age

Once in a while you strike Facebook gold. The kinds of discussions I used to have here on BSJ seem to be migrating, with everyone else, over to what has turned out to be the irresistable social media platform. Blog integration will eventually happen, and unfortunately will require a total rework to bring the two worlds together. In the meantime, please friend me on FB to keep up with the latest stuff I used to post here.

Now, presented for your entertainment, the discussion between BlackSun and BV, prompted by this tweet:

Reliance on God is like software that has to phone home for authorization. Atheism is the patch (crack) that lets it run on its own.

BV: And some just observe with no religion or ideology

BlackSun: BV, everyone has an epistemology. Some rely on revelation, subjectivity, direct unchecked experiences, scripture or authority. Others rely on their wits and double-checked observations under laboratory conditions from multiple observers.

BV: Fair nuff. Let me say this: God doesn’t matter.

BlackSun: Not to me, and maybe not to you. But to billions it does, and they vote, fight, and miseducate their children based on those ill-formed concepts.

BV: Yes. None of which negates what’s still existing as the life neither me nor thee created.

BlackSun: So let me see–you want it both ways.

BV: Life doesn’t exist without our say so? I was under the impression it did.

BlackSun: First you said God is not important, then you implied he/she/it created life. Which is it? Or are you one of those permanent fence-sitters who uses both sides of the argument depending on what’s convenient?

BV: Are you one to jump to hasty convenient conclusions? I never implied there was a god that created life. I’m talking about life not god.

BlackSun: OK, fair enough. Life exists. What is the point of that tautology?

BV: Where did it come from?

BlackSun: Life? Abiogenesis is pretty close to being understood. Evolution through natural selection is very well understood.

BV: Are you satisfied to let that stand as your definitive answer to the question Prophet?

BlackSun: It’s what I said, isn’t it, BV? What are you, the host of “Who wants to be a theist?” Um, “Sir, is that your final answer??”

In case you didn’t really get it, I’ll make it easy for you. Abiogenesis and Natural Selection.

BV: No I’ll make it easy for YOU Sean. You don’t know where life comes from. And your answer, even with your flatland theories, pales to what is truly being asked.

Tis a mystery, life. It certainly is alive though and I’m sure I’m better served to put it in that category of what can be better observed than to know about. …a position that allows a crack to let it run on its own, as it were. It’s alive for chrisssake! Who did that and what shall we call it?!

BlackSun: A fine surrender, sir. Well played.

BV: No surrender at all Prophet. Sword or olive branch suits me equally.

Nobody gave us life, there’s never been a god. There’s only just been life, the creator, upbuilder and sustainer of all. This life doesn’t need us a whit but by its absence it can drop the body in a minute. Therein is the source of us, a higher power to our quaint thinkers. How may I increase its grace or marshal it to do my bidding? Only by the more aliveness in me, that is the church worth finding!

Call it evolution if you like but abiogenesis or selection didn’t create this ground of being. This ground of being has always been, and gives rise to our gardens and apples and discrimination and separation and good and evil. Every sacred scroll from every culture has been grasping at these dynamics through mythology. It’s the literalists and logical positivists who turn symbol into concrete.

Concrete > Symbol > life. Which direction? Peace.

BlackSun: “ground of being” = meaningless in your vernacular–doesn’t really explain or even describe anything, just a vague sense you have. Atoms and molecules and people give rise to gardens and apples through well understood physical and biological principles. Plants are a highly advanced form of nanotechnological self-replication, and in a sense, so are we.

But the way you describe it, everything = nothing = a tree = a pack of bubble gum = sword = olive branch. That is intellectual surrender by any definition.

A lot of words to say not much. Doesn’t really add to knowledge or even “being.” Back to the tautology, or down to a weak relativism. This is very primitive stuff. Avoids discipline, taking sides, separating known from unknown, boundaries. It’s easy to claim advancement when there are no wrong answers and everything is everything.

Which works as a kind of Zen poetry I guess, but myths are myths and understanding what this whole experience of life is about takes a lot more than metaphor. It takes hard work, which is why few people bother. But somehow, we’ve got to move beyond this simplistic stage to a place where people stop being so threatened by knowledge and begin to value it.

By the way, this was not at all the subject of my post, but new agers always take the bait, because it seems you want everything to be “connected” by some form of energy that ties back to God even if you don’t want to give it that particular name.

If I had to give it a name it would be “physics,” I suppose, which underlies all chemistry and biology. We are not physics, though our existence may be defined by it. If you wanted to call that a “ground of being” then I wouldn’t disagree. But it’s not alive, doesn’t communicate or form personalities. It’s a definition of how the component parts of this whole experience relate to one another and give rise to stars, people, apples, swords and olive branches.

The bottom line of what I was really saying is just rely on yourself and accept your place as an advanced mammal in a flesh and blood world–who’s going to live a short time and then die without a trace. That’s it. If you just stick with “the more aliveness in me” part as long as you possibly can, you’ll be fine. And I think a little appreciation for the hard work done by scientists is in order. They’ve certainly made our lives better. We’re incalculably lucky to have been born at all. Luckier still to have been born at a time of such profound understanding unprecedented in human history.

A mere few hundred years ago, we didn’t know our ass from a hole in the ground, or a black hole. Now we understand a great deal about the universe and our place in it. We also understand how our bodies and minds function. Come on, you can at least stop feeling above it all long enough to manage a golf clap.

BV: Dear Concrete: All the science and scientism I’m sure gets a clap for more data and understanding. And none of it can explain what grows the grass besides late-stage catalytic events. It is life itself you cannot know objectively because that is what’s looking. And you cannot account for it. I’m “above it all” not enough to at least know to admit that.

BlackSun: Using the word “scientism” is basically a cry of “I won’t, I won’t” uttered with eyes shut, fingers jammed in the ears. BV, now you’ve sent up the white flag in a mighty blaze of fireworks.

What a waste of breath and life that whole discussion was. Stubborn and petulant to the very end. But I’ll manage to use it somewhere somehow to illustrate for someone’s benefit the true depths of ignorance we humans face. It’s a wonder any of us have learned anything at all. You say “none of it can explain” when you’ve just failed to either look at or accept the explanation. The fault in that situation, I’m afraid, doesn’t lie with the explainer. Now you’ve officially and permanently exhausted my patience.

Amaterasu / January 31st, 2010, 12:02 am / #1

"Who did that and what shall we call it?!"
Evolutionarily we are wired to look for a "who" cause, so that we can fend ourselves from threat of danger.
Not everything has a "who did it" cause. Science has been taking the "who" out of these questions and will continue to do so.

BlackSun / January 31st, 2010, 12:31 am / #2

This is epistemological patternicity. It's virtually the same miscues that cause people to see faces in rocks, trees, fences, or conspiracies in human events. We're far less equipped to comprehend or deal with the emergent properties of mechanistic systems or random choices. Consciousness is one of these. People just can't imagine how particles which move with predetermined probabilities can give rise to music, laughter, love, sadness, and free will. But they do.

I find this most beautiful and comforting of all. We are a precision symphony of tiny particles and yet we feel. We can choose our goals and purposes. We care because our very existence depends on it. We are the finest machines yet made on Earth, and still we will be superseded by the greater intelligences we will build. This is a thought that makes me profoundly happy. I hope I live to see it.

vallor / January 31st, 2010, 2:16 pm / #3

In which facebook group can we find this discussion, please? :)

BlackSun / January 31st, 2010, 8:27 pm / #4

or add Sean Prophet as friend.

JBV / February 3rd, 2010, 3:50 am / #5

Oh good I'm famous.

On this page you'll get nothing but supporters Sean but for some of us your faith in the vagaries of science is unpersuasive. Direct contact with the deep unconscious, as Jung would call it, is much more nourishing and gnostic.

Some worship rhetoric and mechanistic science as though it were the litmus for all that's true, while yet undivided life itself is a higher power to our quaint tinkers and science *cannot* account for it! That is where the rub is.

I would speak this for myself on the proper thread but unfortunately someone brought censorship into the picture.

JBV / February 3rd, 2010, 3:58 am / #6

There was no personal "who" being asked for.
My point was there is no accounting for how life got here and nobody brought it into being, least of all us. My point is that life itself stands as the eternal constant, and if you had followed the thread you would have seen that.

There is no "who". In the beginning there was just life.

JBV / February 3rd, 2010, 4:11 am / #7

I've never seen a face in a tree.

"People just can't imagine how particles which move with predetermined probabilities can give rise to music, laughter, love, sadness, and free will"

Sure I can. What moved the particles? What it something alive? Where did that aliveness come from? What should we call it?

JBV / February 3rd, 2010, 4:14 am / #8

"In which facebook group can we find this discussion, please?"

I'll be happy to recreate it for you here.

BlackSun / February 3rd, 2010, 4:24 am / #9

It's not censorship. I'm just not interested in the discussion. You are using "god of the gaps" and "argument from ignorance," two of the weakest and lamest forms of apologetics ever devised.

This is not evidence, but bluster. It's against the comment policy, so I'm disallowing you here as well. I'll leave your comments up so people can see where you're coming from. It's exactly as I said, Brandon, and you haven't brought any new information or tactics to the table. Only repeating the same old trope.

End of discussion.

bob / February 9th, 2010, 7:44 pm / #10

you wrote
If I had to give it a name it would be “physics,”

dude it's not called "physics"
it's called "metaphysics"

you know that wild and wacky world of
multiple dimensions etc and so on?

BlackSun / February 9th, 2010, 7:52 pm / #11

What distinguishes "metaphysics" from imaginary?

Liquid Egg Product / February 10th, 2010, 6:38 pm / #12

They don't let you take the square root of -1 in metaphysics.

Cathy Sander / March 6th, 2010, 12:00 pm / #13

Simple [and complex], as always: chemistry. However, there's been gross apathy towards this branch of science. Ever since we were able to synthesis identical molecules found in the biosphere, the gap between life and non-life in our understanding has to a great degree vanished.

Bill / May 29th, 2010, 2:36 pm / #14

I've seen faces on trees, in piles of rocks, clouds and in wood grain. The human brain is quick to notice face -like patterns, it kept our ancestors from getting eaten. Insects, birds and fish have all separately evolved face mimic patterns and "eye spots" to give pause to predators. So maybe face recognition came early "down" the evolutionary ladder.

This ability may, in part, account for the evolution of the religious meme in humanity.

janus / June 5th, 2010, 10:40 pm / #15

Great argument, great blog.

testdomain / March 17th, 2013, 10:43 am / #16

Thanks for another informative website. Where else could I get that type of info written in such a perfect way? I have a project that I am just now working on, and I’ve been on the look out for such info.

mbwrite essay / August 26th, 2013, 11:55 pm / #17

Articles are good i recently read a blog this has also given me some more information for my studies.

essay writing / October 31st, 2013, 2:17 pm / #18

excellent, well done post! Read everything and everyone!

paraphrase apa / November 5th, 2013, 5:28 am / #19

Thank you for another important article. Where else can you get this information in a comprehensive way of writing? It took me a week, and I am looking for information.

spell check / December 2nd, 2013, 8:51 am / #20

True amazing post! Everyone will find something in it his own. How I found) Read not regret it. The author is very informant in this topic, as probably in all other

literature review / December 6th, 2013, 5:20 pm / #21

Very effective article. Indeed, it may be useful in life, and not once. Count should still read it and you will not regret it, I guarantee)) Have a good day!

check grammer / December 8th, 2013, 4:16 pm / #22

Short, simple and clear! This post, I really like it, and I advise everyone to read. Only a person with a wealth of life experience could write such an interesting article

audio to text / December 11th, 2013, 6:21 pm / #23

Good day! Today read this wonderful, useful post. I want to share it with everyone because it is informative) I, a person who reads a lot and seen a lot of posts, but it seems this has not yet been met. Advise Reading

5-htp / May 3rd, 2014, 4:44 am / #24

Criticisms of social media range from criticisms of the ease of use of specific platforms and their capabilities, disparity of information available, issues with trustworthiness and reliability of information presented, the impact of social media use on an individual's concentration, ownership of media content, and the meaning of interactions created by social media.

toko online / February 6th, 2015, 12:30 am / #25

Hi… Thank you for your wonderful information. your writing hand is very easy and everybody know it very easily. tas branded murah berkualitas | celana chino

assignment uk / March 17th, 2015, 9:20 am / #26

People square measure fearful of what they do not grasp…(other religions)…i am associate athiest however i do not attempt pushing it on people or build people additional into it…if somebody may be a bound religon it's cuz that what they require….don't attempt to amendment them for your sake…cuz once somebody is pushed to so much they're going to do one thing forceful.

jassica / June 15th, 2015, 8:33 pm / #27

'If you could have seen just one, you've seen all those meals. ' It is one time period many vacation goers hate. Think in relation to it-you spend some money about to a traveling destination therefore you are excited to discover its areas.travellers bay

Traveling into a place like Ny city can possibly be rough - for anyone not helpful to the throngs. There's always strategies to relieve ones travel stress and read on to uncover one advisors.mapped travel

Penguins are extremely iconic in addition to popular arctic dogs and by and large, these amphibious creatures is normally the subject of children experiences, movies, cartoons, and even online games.penguin travel

jassica / June 15th, 2015, 8:33 pm / #28

A authorized health coach is often more experienced and better accepted as a professional from the wellness industry.certified health coach

Using the Center intended for Disease Management (CDC), tooth decay is amongst the most popular chronic infectious disorders among U. S. little ones. This is usually a preventable health problem that will start early.childrens oral health

Knowing what financial planning software does is a wonderful start into a healthy, professional relationship with all your planner. In this particular brief document, we have a look at what some sort of planner will work to assist you to achieve ones financial aims.e health planners

anaymohite / June 15th, 2015, 10:57 pm / #29

Typically the story from landing from world player of this year is started in preseason and yet failed also now it seems to have its appearance of football ?n which Manchester usa is was standing firm on their winger and yet Bernabeu end is convinced to acquire this the world class player towards Spain regarding campaign towards win trophies through coming summer?

Anaymohite / June 15th, 2015, 10:57 pm / #30

As being a soccer fan, you so want to know information of the action and precisely what place superior to to enjoy ft are living? In simple fact, you can watch the sport live online and don headphones if you need to get a number of privacy. Consequently Liverpool as well as Chelsea, Real This town or Stansted United or some other of your selected team, watching a new live score is actually fun.

Anaymohite / June 17th, 2015, 4:40 am / #31

This game is so popular that it has attracted people of all age groups, who enjoy playing it anytime of the day. You can visit one of the well known gaming websites and play these games for free…Legend of Zelda Shields

clothing factory / August 11th, 2015, 4:45 am / #32

They don't let you take the square root of -1 in metaphysics.

Backlinks / September 11th, 2015, 5:41 am / #33

Two sorts of blog commenting are present. Automated blog site commenting in addition to manual blog site commenting are classified as the two forms. In robotic blog commenting a number of software's are present. The comments can be irrelevant towards blog post this can be the problem having software.Manual blog comments

rusheessay / September 14th, 2015, 4:26 am / #34

Efficiency and productivity of the work and tasks is the adhered and accepted principle. The skills and abilities of the nature of the highest order are accomplished for the development. The scheme of the students is advised to be practical and recommended.

queenanna2015 / September 15th, 2015, 12:22 am / #35

Two sorts of blog commenting are present. Automated blog site commenting in addition to manual blog site commenting are classified as the two forms. In robotic blog commenting a number of software's are present.<a href="" target="_blank">arthritis natural remedies

queenanna2015 / September 15th, 2015, 12:23 am / #36

Two sorts of blog commenting are present. Automated blog site commenting in addition to manual blog site commenting are classified as the two forms. In robotic blog commenting a number of software's are present. natural allergy treatments

gyfisib / September 19th, 2015, 10:57 pm / #37

Criticisms of social media range from criticisms of the ease of use of specific platforms and their capabilities car rental jaipur to delhi

admin / September 23rd, 2015, 2:22 am / #38

There are a lot reasons medicine and health practices can outsource his or her's billing for a professional medical related billing system; confusing insurance protection requirements, staffing problems and just maintaining industry changes would be a few recommendations. In the bottom though,first call services

The approach before a operation online is possibly the most critical for a shopping cart's victory. If typically the buying system causes problems, confusion and / or insecurity, the user will likely abandon the shopping cart software, never to return berry shop

Marketing in the wrong wide range keywords definitely will KILL your internet business, produce some substandard directs, and definitely will suck you check account dry. Mobile computer don't put together everything against the wall and then judge what stays. On the other one hand.making markets

Typically the strategic benefits of logo and learn how to evaluate a brand, plus ways that anyone can increase the beauty of a brand. By far the most commonly overlooked options for competitive plus is label. Branding is not advertising, nor is that it simply some catchy name on a company and / or product.brand-line

Typically the enhance your budget benefits from logo not to mention learn how to analyze a label, in addition to solutions that anyone can get considerably more benefits with the label. By far the most widely avoided options for affordable plus might be label. Logo is not selling, not is that it simply a catchy designate on a business enterprise and / or

werokesu / October 1st, 2015, 12:12 am / #39

werokesu / October 8th, 2015, 2:57 am / #40

werokesu / October 9th, 2015, 11:46 pm / #41

If more people that write articles really concerned themselves with writing great content like you. more readers would be interested in their writings. Thank you for caring about your content. Builders

werokesu / October 10th, 2015, 3:15 am / #42

Now, presented for your entertainment, the discussion between BlackSun and BV, prompted by this tweet…radon gas how it affects you how to eliminate it