Islamic Men Wonder Why We Think They're Freaks

Doctors in France may receive protection from religious fanatics under a new law being recommended by a panel which studied the issue:

Male doctors, particularly in maternity wards, say they are increasingly subject to insults, even blows, most often by men opposed to nudity or physical contact with their wives and daughters.

The conviction last week of Fouhad Ben Moussa highlighted the issue. He pulled Jean-François Oury, head of the maternity ward of Robert Debré Hospital in Paris, from a hospital room in September and slapped him after the doctor examined his wife, who had hemorrhaged after giving birth, according to court testimony. (emphasis added)

"In my religion, a man doesn’t touch a woman," Ben Moussa screamed, according to the testimony. In court, Ben Moussa, expressing regret, said his real motivation had been modesty, not religion. He was sentenced to a six-month jail term that can be partly served at home.

This seems so patently ridiculous as to defy all explanation. Apparently, some men would rather have their wives and daughters DEAD, than have them be immodest. I hope France passes their law.

[Note: If you are an Islamic male, and you are as horrified as I am about the treatment of women in your societies, then I applaud you and do not consider you a freak. You are on the side of life, humanity, and sanity. This is not about anti-Muslim bigotry. It is about supporting universal human values.]

The next time someone accuses secularists and atheists of fanaticism, I’m going to scream (irony intentional). We want sanity, not insanity. We want women in all countries, regardless of their religion to have the same rights: The right of self-ownership, non-coercion, and the right to appropriate medical treatment–without a well-meaning OB-GYN being accused by a jealous and infantile fanatic of a husband of having some prurient interest in a woman whose life he is engaged in saving.

I’ll say it one more time. We need strong laws which support secularism. Have your opinions and beliefs all you want in the privacy of your own homes, mosques, churches, temples–what have you. Worship as you see fit. Perform rituals and ablutions five times a day if you so desire. But when you mistreat your family members anywhere, it becomes a social issue. When you enter the common space, government, public school, public hospital, workplace, the only religion you should be allowed to practice is REALITY.

doris tracey / January 30th, 2007, 5:16 pm / #1

Hi Sean,

I believe everyone should worship or not worship anyway they choose without religious or secular persecution. We all need to learn through trial a error. Most of us have learned religious bigotry, which have created walls not brotherly love. Many walls will come down as we all accept and understand one another as part of a whole. Many people are babes in this understanding and we need to set an example until others catch up. We will finally live in reality when we love another as we love ourselves and then there will be no barriors or limitations. I just discovered the word real comes from the spanish meaning royal.

BlackSun / January 30th, 2007, 5:46 pm / #2

Doris, tolerance ends when people get hurt. I thought this was about the clearest example of that principle I’ve ever seen. Ironically, it is the ‘tolerance’ of moderates which paves the way for the acceptance of the teaching and practice of extremism.

Religious traditions, (which when it comes right down to it are simply people’s opinions), should receive the same common-sense scrutiny as any other practice. There should not be a free-pass given to something because it is a “religious tradition.” Ignorance is ignorance. I have no problem saying to Muslim men: “Get over your infantile petty jealousy. The doctor is not trying to put the make on your wife, he is saving her life. Get a grip!”

This is not bigotry or persecution, it is common sense. We must draw firm boundaries, and demand that all cultures respect basic human rights. This is the foundation of the only ‘brotherly love’ that matters–the protection of the weak from violence and coercion.

Any Muslim who abhors these backward cultural traditions as much as I do will have my respect. But for the abusers of women and purveyors of dogma and violence I hold nothing but contempt–and for that I will never apologize.

Please read “The End of Faith” by Sam Harris.

doris tracey / January 30th, 2007, 6:49 pm / #3

I truly understand where your coming from and I appreciate your righteous indignation! Thank you for honoring women so much, you are a rare breed.

Muslima / January 31st, 2007, 10:33 pm / #4

Wanna learn about Islam – study up !

BlackSun / January 31st, 2007, 11:21 pm / #5

Muslima, here is how Islamic societies treat their women:

-honor killings
-forced burqa wearing
-can’t drive or go out without a man present (even a young boy will do!!)
-can’t be alone in house with a man other than husband
-segregated facilities for prayer
-segregated pools/beaches for bathing
-extreme sexual jealousy and shame
-hanging for adultery

When these repressions stop, and you treat women like they are supposed to be treated, then we will talk:

Your scriptures are silent on the repressions. The only thing a woman is allowed to do according to your site is spend her money how she chooses. What about fundamental freedom in matters of love, conscience, dress, and sexuality? Why are those not equally important?

“Islam sees a woman, whether single or married, as an individual in her own right, with the right to own and dispose of her property and earnings without any guardianship over her (whether that be her father, husband, or anyone else). She has the right to buy and sell, give gifts and charity, and may spend her money as she pleases. A marriage dowry is given by the groom to the bride for her own personal use, and she keeps her own family name rather than taking her husband’s.

Islam encourages the husband to treat his wife well, as the Prophet Muhammad said: {The best among you are those who are best to their wives.}”

Aaron Kinney / February 1st, 2007, 11:16 am / #6

At the risk of sounding vulgar, I want to state a few rules that, if a male does not agree to them, can be judged as certifiably evil:

1. If my wife is giving birth, the doctor (male or female) better do his/her job and examine her. The health of my wife and child are at stake, and no my wife isnt whoring it up, and no the doctor isnt trying to cop a feel.

2. If my wife starts bleeding uncontrollably from her naughty bits as a result of giving birth, the doctor (male or female) better get up in that junk and stop the bleeding. I want my wife to live and I dont give a fuck who sees or touches her crotch in order to make that happen.

3. If I ever bitch and moan about the scenarios described in rules 1 and 2 above actually occuring, then I am a terribly insecure man, and I deserve to be insulted by my fellow men and called out for being the whiny punk bitch that I am. I probably also deserve to have my wife divorce me and find a REAL man. I may even deserve to have my child taken from me, especially if that child is a female, because I will obviously make her life a living hell due to my insecurity and obsession over having complete control of the female genitalia of every member of my family.

Aaron Kinney / February 1st, 2007, 11:18 am / #7

Mulsima,

Does the Quran allow a Muslim wife to beat her husband if he does not behave?