Praying I Can Deal With

Last night I was visited by this magnificent lifeform and I grabbed my camera. Even funnier that I had just watched Pan’s Labyrinth which has a central character modeled after just such an insect. It waited patiently for me to snap about 15 shots before it flew away. And I have to admit the only reason it flew away is I was trying to coax it into a better spot. Silly me. The mantises can pray for me all day and all night long. I love this natural world.

praying-mantis-cropped.jpg

praying-mantis-cu.jpg

Rasputin / September 28th, 2007, 9:33 am / #1

It looks like he’s looking at me wondering how tasty I am.

BlackSun / September 28th, 2007, 10:47 am / #2

And with good reason–these guys are carnivorous and cannibalistic. The females often eat their mates. I’m also surprised at how much it’s forelegs look like crab legs.

Still, I think they’re way cool.

Jeff / September 28th, 2007, 11:32 am / #3

I saw one about a month ago, and I too was fascinated. It’s illegal to kill them in Maryland, at least it used to be. They’re rare here too.

I avoid killing bugs except mosquitoes. And I enjoy watching a mouse and could never kill one. Blacksun, thanks for the interesting info. The diversity in nature truly is astonishing…scuba diving in the tropics is really amazing, but many reefs are slowly dieing from rising water temps.

TW / September 29th, 2007, 11:38 am / #4

You have been tagged with the Evolution Meme. Hope you enjoy participating. :=)

nullifidian / September 29th, 2007, 4:33 pm / #5

Those are some really awesome photos!

Challenge Religion - Today’s Top Blog Posts on Atheism - Powered by SocialRank / October 1st, 2007, 3:08 am / #6

[…] Praying I Can Deal With […]

BlackSun / October 1st, 2007, 1:07 pm / #7

Jeff,

I love snorkeling and diving. Unfortunately, it seems many of the tourist spots have reefs that are artificially maintained by the local resorts. The fish are still pretty to look at, but their beauty obscures the sad fact that natural fish populations are crashing and the oceans are dying.

TW, I’ll get back to you, thanks.

Nullifidian, thanks!

tobe38 / October 3rd, 2007, 10:31 am / #8

Tag! you’re it.

BlackSun / October 4th, 2007, 3:32 pm / #9

tobe and TW, OK, I’ll get to this when I can

Corbin / September 5th, 2008, 10:42 pm / #10

Wow! these are really good photos!
I’ve only seen one praying mantis in my life. I caught it in a cofee cup, and released it into my garden.
It ate many annoying bugs and even a little garder snakes head. Poor snake but thats life.

Jim Bob / August 18th, 2010, 9:56 am / #11

yeah i saw one yesterday too and i just found one in my house… double luck ?

lilyana / May 8th, 2011, 12:04 pm / #12

I LOVE ANIMALS AND INSECTS. And i am only 8 i hope you like this comment.May 8 2011

Judy / October 1st, 2011, 2:57 pm / #13

We've had a praying mantis living in a potted plant outside our house all summer. We first noticed it when it was about 2 inches long and green. Now, 3 months later, it is about 5 inches and is brown. The planter has a combinaton of marigolds (all dead now) and lantata, which is still alive. This must have provided a very safe and productive home for the mantis. We have named her "PM," and our 2 year old granddaughter is very excited about our little pet. She told the neighbor the other day, "We have a PM at OUR house!" What fun! We live in OHio and it's already getting cool. I'm hoping a teacher at our primary school will take her and keep her for the children to see in an aquarium. I'm wondering if they can live beyond one season if they are kept indoors and fed.